Norvin. does anybody know if unity equipe is still in business?

timetraveller

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
That's good. I have to supply a CAD file (DWG for those in the know).. Hand drawn would not be good enough to the people I use. Also they have a minimum charge of £50 so either I have to find someone else and put my order in as a piggyback or get several of something made.

Chris Launders

VOC Member
Looking at the position of some of the holes the gearbox pivots at the top and the front set would be for a slimline with the extra bottom mount the widelines didn't have.

BSAOWNER, you haven't indicated what sort of Norvin you have, single. standard twin or twin with the gearbox chopped off (if so what gearbox) also single and twin Norton frames have different front mountings so that is a minimum of 6 different combinations.

I worked for several years part time making "Converta" plates so I'm fairly familiar with them, Unity never made single or chopped engine plates by the way.

As an aside there were at least 12 different "Triton" patterns depending on frame, engine, gearbox, alt/dynamo, unit/pre-unit combinations.

Chris.

vibrac

VOC Member
That's good. I have to supply a CAD file (DWG for those in the know).. Hand drawn would not be good enough to the people I use. Also they have a minimum charge of £50 so either I have to find someone else and put my order in as a piggyback or get several of something made.
I paid £30 for a set of lightning plates from paper templates from plans in MPH Eddie's obscure components

Mark Fisher

Non-VOC Member
Looking at the position of some of the holes the gearbox pivots at the top and the front set would be for a slimline with the extra bottom mount the widelines didn't have.

BSAOWNER, you haven't indicated what sort of Norvin you have, single. standard twin or twin with the gearbox chopped off (if so what gearbox) also single and twin Norton frames have different front mountings so that is a minimum of 6 different combinations.

I worked for several years part time making "Converta" plates so I'm fairly familiar with them, Unity never made single or chopped engine plates by the way.

As an aside there were at least 12 different "Triton" patterns depending on frame, engine, gearbox, alt/dynamo, unit/pre-unit combinations.

Chris.
Chris, the engine is a 1949 rapide and the engine is un chopped apart from some butchery to the G50 gearbox plate. The RH top frame rail is flattened so my guess is that it originally housed a single, ES2 maybe? The front mounts although rather crude are fairly simple but the LH rear is a bit weird, it looks like a cross tube which would have been an anchor for top rear engine mounts has been cut out, shortened and re-inserted to make way for an engine plate and a spacer....

vibrac

VOC Member
Perhaps I am lucky guy is just down the road I pay cash he fits it in between jobs and he divies up alloy sheet like a tailor cutting cloth always got a spare bit. there are lots of water cutters around
think it was 12-18 months ago

Mike 40M

VOC Member
Problem with the slimline front mount is that it has to be a 1/4" plate. Found when I changed to aluminium plates on a 650SS.

Chris Launders

VOC Member
Ah but with a Vincent engine it wouldn't have to go inside the mounting, your plates would be much further apart, well outside the Norton mountings.

lomaxjohn

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I'm looking for a set of engine plates for my Norvin Currently it's possibly the world's most horrible norvin but I aim to change this! I've tried calling Unity several times but no-one answers, have they closed? Does anybody know of an alternative source? I'm in the USA but I don't mind where they come from...they just have to be good! I could copy the ones that are on the bike now, but they are so poorly made that I don't think they are a good starting point. BTW it's a slimline frame.
thanks in advance.
mark
Hi Mark
Last time I spoke to Steve he was about to start building a Norvin
www.stevetonkin-restorations.co.uk
Quality of Steve's work is exceptional and I sure if possible he will help
I have just completed my Norvin rebuild of email me if you wish for photos/talk about/problem etc
lomaxjohn@hotmail.com

Last edited by a moderator: