Norvin. does anybody know if unity equipe is still in business?

Mark Fisher

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I'm looking for a set of engine plates for my Norvin Currently it's possibly the world's most horrible norvin but I aim to change this! I've tried calling Unity several times but no-one answers, have they closed? Does anybody know of an alternative source? I'm in the USA but I don't mind where they come from...they just have to be good! I could copy the ones that are on the bike now, but they are so poorly made that I don't think they are a good starting point. BTW it's a slimline frame.
thanks in advance.
mark

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
It used to be run by a BIG fella called Peter Lee and rode a Vincent and sold me a pair of MK1 concentric's in the late 60's they advertised on the front page of Old Bike Mart. Sorry just noticed your in USA I'll see if I can find an "old bike mart" wait for a moment.

Phil Arundel

VOC Member
Hi Mark,
Sorry, just checked the Unity Equipe website and their latest catalogue is dated 2015 - so looks like they are no longer trading!!
Phil

ericg

VOC Member
Why not make your own plates?
It's not that difficult, plus it would be cheaper and more accurate, you'll just have to measure several times before cutting/drilling.

Chris Launders

VOC Member
Unity may still in business, as far as I know but the guy running it has been ill and is possibly only doing mornings (UK) He has no Norvin engine plates and no one working for him to make them (I know the person who was working there doing that, but he left a year ago)
Also try ringing Sheffield British Motorcycles, it's the same guy, but the same applies, he has no plates.
I made my own (chopped engine ones) using cardboard, then MDF. a set of transfer punches are really useful and very cheap.
Chris.

brian gains

VOC Member
This possibly mat be incorrect but i believe Raysons Exhausts is run by by grandson of Mr Unity Equipe and therefore maybe good start point for enquiries.

Mark Fisher

Non-VOC Member
It used to be run by a BIG fella called Peter Lee and rode a Vincent and sold me a pair of MK1 concentric's in the late 60's they advertised on the front page of Old Bike Mart. Sorry just noticed your in USA I'll see if I can find an "old bike mart" wait for a moment.
Marcus, I used to live in Ashton u lyne until 1996 and worked in Rochdale so I used to go to their original location just outside Rochdale on a regular basis, and I remember Peter Lee. I think he emigrated to Canada. I'm trying to avoid making my own plates if possible as I'm not sure that they way it has been done on this bike is necessarily a good way of doing the job of mounting the engine. Even a set of pics would be useful, especially the rear left hand mount which is very convoluted on this bike. All the existing plates are very poorly made.
thanks
mark

vibrac

VOC Member
I hacksawed and filed my last engine plates maybe 10 years ago nowadays if I want something out of plate I draw it up on stiff card mark the holes and give the lot my local water cutter and specify smooth edges. Job done! He usually supplies in 8mm plate never mind it will polish up like 5/16" :cool: