norvin-comet engine plates

sven brands

New Forum User
Non-VOC Member
dear members, i#m just starting a wideline featherbed project .. a norvin-comet .. does any member possibly have engine plates patterns, drawings, pictures or anything that could help? many thanks in advance ..
sven

vincentbob

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi Sven, did you manage to find the information you needed elsewhere ?; I am starting the same project myself and it would save time if proven dimensions are available.
Cheers, Neil.

Bill Thomas

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
If you " search " " Norvin Comet" on this Forum, There is a contact name, It's on the second page, You could send a P. M. via this Forum, Good luck, Bill.

vibrac

VOC Member
It must be 40 years ago I fitted a Comet engine in a 7R frame, I made the original plates in hardboard till I got it right, then copied them in alloy. wish I had that frame now! Vincent man that I am, I don't think thats the engine I would fit now:eek:

vincentbob

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I have a 1950 Comet that I inherited some years ago; it came with a worn out but complete spare engine and original Burman box that I have just rebuilt and would like to use.
I am happy with Comet mechanicals so have no problem using this in a Norton frame, a Norton Box may be better but I will stick with the Burman for now.
I can attempt to make my own templates but the engine gearbox assembly is pretty heavy and would need to be in and out a few times, so I thought a proven design would be good if available.
I'll search the forum as suggested and see what I can find from there.
Thanks for the advice.

davidd

VOC Member
I have a 1950 Comet that I inherited some years ago; it came with a worn out but complete spare engine and original Burman box that I have just rebuilt and would like to use.
I am happy with Comet mechanicals so have no problem using this in a Norton frame, a Norton Box may be better but I will stick with the Burman for now.
I can attempt to make my own templates but the engine gearbox assembly is pretty heavy and would need to be in and out a few times, so I thought a proven design would be good if available.
I'll search the forum as suggested and see what I can find from there.
Thanks for the advice.

Bob,

I think the problem is that you are asking for designs that would help you build of a "one off" bike. There may be someone who has done this, but he may not be on the forum and he surely did not make templates of the finished plates. As an example, your choice to keep the Burman box would most likely narrow the field of candidates down to zero.

The engine unit is heavy and it may be that you might find someone who would help fabricate the plates. I am not sure of your fabrication skills, but I would have to mock up the engine in the frame first because it may be the drive line that dictates the engine mounting plates. I see the plates as one of the easier pieces to fabricate, but getting everything positioned left and right as well as up and down may wear you out. It certainly has slowed my projects down before. But, ultimately, it is just a lot of trial and error. The last time I made plates for a complicated gearbox installation I made an initial set and a final set. This was for the TT Industries gear box and it is unlikely anyone else in the world would do the same thing. When one person asked years later I sent the first plates off to him. So, there was one more person, but that was it.

I think it is worthwhile to mock it up in place even without the plates. You can then inventory the other changes you need to make and get the drive line straight. You may have to narrow or widen the rear hub for alignment. If you are lucky enough to get some plate templates you can see how close they are to what you want for your set-up.

Good luck!

David

Chris Launders

VOC Member
Would the front plates for a twin norvin be of any use, I have access to patterns for these if they would be any use I could get a copy (there might even be some plates)
Chris.

vibrac

VOC Member
I think you should forget the burman box its a slow change box its sole redeeming features are long life and that it was original for a standard Comet. Fit a belt drive and a more 'modern' box (pre unit triumph - norton etc) straight away you have a box to match the Egli's performance and you don't have to worry about primary oil tightness and gearbox adjustment and a single 5/16 plate behind the primary drive will simplify all the fitting to the frame.