Norton

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
What a chequered history that name has had since the demise of the original company it takes a very clever man like Bloor to pull off a revival of a marque I think Triumph are an exception and with the present eco fiddle faddle of design restrictions I cant see it happening again any time soon

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
A few years ago I visited the Norton facility a couple of times when it had premises at the Donington Park race circuit. It was a very small operation with what looked like three or four people assembling twin-cylinder machines on a few bike lift benches. It looked like most of the parts were manufactured elsewhere by sub-contractors. I am no businessman but I didn't see how such a small underfunded operation was going to be viable.
They more recently moved down the road a little way to Donington Hall. I never visited there but friends who did said it was still a small operation.
The company have produced some interesting machinery including a promising V4 so it will be a shame if this latest reincarnation of the Norton marque sinks.:(
I have visited the Triumph operation many times and have good friends that work there. (It is only maybe a 15-minute walk from my home.)
It works because John Bloor is a very focussed businessman. He started work as a plasterer in the local building trade and worked hard to become a multi-millionaire. John Bloor put his money where his mouth is.
As an aside, Stuart, our new VOC chairman, is an engineer at Triumph.

vibrac

VOC Member
Stuart is featured in the latest edition of 'Bike' with the latest Speed twin
Yes I admit to buying a modern bike mag to keep up with the latest offerings but the only thing I do envy from all the electronic gizmos is cruise control with all these fast-changing village speed limits it would be a great addition to a Vincent

Last edited by a moderator:

Sakura

Non-VOC Member
I always thought it was going to fold eventually. Just couldn't see how a business could constantly find enough classic replica enthusiasts to sustain the business. They do look great but got a mixed reception from the motorcycle press who are used to near perfect modern motorcycles. Still, it's a shame and both money and jobs are going to be lost. Triumph, on the other hand, is a completely different business model.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I would have thought the tax man could have been more helpful.
They were not with me !.
To give them a bit of time.
I see they are going to bail out an airline !.

Comet Rider

VOC Member
If I was John Bloor I would stay well away until all the court cases have been resolved

There are load of buyers who have paid out large deposits and received nothing but empty promises

Also many of Mr Garners other companies are on the ropes