Norton Motor seized.

christulin

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Since Steve had no room to store his '72 Commando, I have kept in in the garage, maintained it and taken it for an occiasional ride. In August, the motor seized with no warning. Now that it is winter, it has been time to tear it down. I found s loose con rod nut undamaged and the other con stud snapped. Only explanation I can think of is that the worker was too hung over/lazy/grouchy/etc. to either use a liittle locktite or one of those fancy "torque wrenches". It would have saved me a lot of time and expense, you stupid bastard!
Ahem, sorry.

christulin

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
After tearing the motor down, I found that a connecting rod nut had loosened off, lying undamaged in the crankcase. This led to the other conrod stud snapping. The motor must have been assembled on a Monday morning; this should never have happened. Thanks for your advise. The motor should be better than new when we are done with the reassembly with plenty of opportunities for upgrades. If you like to watch movies, you should see "One Week", which stars an 850 Norton.