Norton dual points

Oldhaven

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Years ago I bought this set up at a salvage yard. It seemed like a good possibility for a coil ignition, but I am confused by timing anything more complex than the KVF or the standard D distributor I used on my C. Has anyone used this unit on a twin? (...of course someone has....) My questions are: What was this used on originally? Are there any advantages to its use. Is the built in advance suitable as is? Does it need cam profile modifications? Number of coils needed? And can the points location be modified for a 50 degree cylinder angle?

Ron
IMG_0342.JPG
IMG_0341.JPG

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hello Ron, I might be wrong, But it looks to me like it's going the wrong way ! Should the Vin be clockwize, Looking at the drive end. Cheers Bill.

Oldhaven

VOC Member
By Gorry, you're right. The cam end turns clockwize. If it was a snake it would've bit me. Thankfully I didn't pay much for it 25 years ago. Looks like a candidate for Ebay.
Thanks Bill

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hello Ron, There was a set up like you are thinking, I sold it to a chap in AUS a few years ago, It was in an alloy block, Bolted where the mag' inspection plate goes on the Timing cover, With your points. The bearing and drive shaft went where the mag' goes with a bit for rev counter drive, It was OK but you was always playing with it !! I think Nortons has the same trouble !, I think it was made by Russels in the UK, Cheers Bill.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Ron, If you look under Comet Suspension on this part of the forum, Press on page ? 27 and scroll down, You will see a photo of my special with it on, With the advance and retard cable coming back across the T/ cover, Cheers Bill.

Oldhaven

VOC Member
I see what you mean Bill, my mistake was thinking it could bolt up to the magneto triangle mount on the other side, but it would have to be turned around as your picture shows to work, using only the points plate.. To use what I have the whole thing would need to be reworked, as the only useful part for a Vincent twin is the housing as a basis for something homemade.

Nice picture. Man, were we ever that young! You look like you owned the world that day.
BTW, the avatar I use is me around 1950 at about 1 1/2 years old with my uncle's Square Four and his hat and boots. Right out of "The Wild Ones". I owned the world right then and have the same look on my face that you did.

Ron

stumpy lord

Non-VOC Member
Hello Ron, There was a set up like you are thinking, I sold it to a chap in AUS a few years ago, It was in an alloy block, Bolted where the mag' inspection plate goes on the Timing cover, With your points. The bearing and drive shaft went where the mag' goes with a bit for rev counter drive, It was OK but you was always playing with it !! I think Nortons has the same trouble !, I think it was made by Russels in the UK, Cheers Bill.
dolphin motors was the manufacturer

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
We can only dream now !! But I had a few Good days, A lot of bad ones ! I raced for 17 years, So that is more than most, Just been out on the Comet, Blimey so Different to my twin !, But I think I am lucky to still be able to ride at 67. The D distributor is a good bit of kit, They come up on E/bay sometimes in UK, All The Best, Bill.

Chris Launders

VOC Member
I think if it's a standard lucas adv/ret you could swap it for a commando one which operates the other way, then you would have to make up a points plate with them at the correct spacing for a Vincent and use two coils.
Chris.

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
I have a Rapide with the Norton dual point dual coil ignition. It is the easiest starting motorcycle I have ever encountered. It also seems to pull a lot harder than other Vincents, including my other Rapide, which on paper should be the faster bike. The only down side is you must use the original Lucas points, the Daichi Japanese replacement points that most dealers stock for Norton/Triumph/Bsa are worthless. I have stockpiled enough original Lucas points to travle the world over several times. Fortunately this does not require many sets as the Lucas points are very high quality and very long wearing. After livingvwith this ignition for 40,000 miles, I will never change it out for EI or a BTH. While both of those ignition types have their advantages, the easy half kick starting of the dual point system is unbeatable.
I check the points for gap maybe once every two years or about every ten thousand miles or so, not a big maintenance item at all.
Glen