Norton dual points

Oldhaven

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi Glen,

I notice you have mentioned this setup here before. It sure sounds simple and reliable. Would you mind posting a picture of your system (if it does not require disassembly)? Is it positioned at magneto location or on timing cover? The Dolphin system Bill used mounted on the timing cover. What type Lucas points did you use? I don't think making a new points plate would be too difficult. Does it have the later Commando Lucas mechanical centrifugal advance Chris mentions with straight shaft driven with a Vincent mag pinion?

I did find a post from you on another forum:
-------
From the 850Mk111 parts book-
Contact breaker plate assembly- Norton part number 06-8110, Maker's or Superceded Part No. 54425160
Points set " " " 99-1266 "" " 60600271
Eccentric screw " " 99-0769 " " 54419220
Autoadvance Mechanism " " 06-8047 " " 54426429
Spring set " " 06-8046 " " 54412229
I don't have info for the earlier bikes but I believe the above numbers are also good for any 1973 and up Commando
---------

Thanks Glen Bill, and Chris, I am always interested in learning something, and this forum is great for that.

Ron

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Bet they don't tell you how Sticky they are !! And with the cheap points I was always messing with them, Cheers Bill.

Chris Launders

VOC Member
You might consider using aftermarket twin coil Harley points instead of the Lucas ones, they are much more compact, more robust and probably much cheaper ( the last REV-TECH ones I bought were £9.50 for a two sets with condensors included, only about 2 years ago)
Chris.

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
The system on this bike uses the same points as a later model Norton Commando or same vintage Triumph /BSA Triple. The points housing is of the magneto replacement type and the pinion gear is a standard tufnol item. I suspect the system was made in a home shop as it is not a Dolphin unit. Wiill take some photos when I get a chance, it won't hurt to have a look in there as it has been a/couple of years since I last had a peak at the points.
I bought the bike from John Goodwin in Australia. He told me that I would love the one kick starting and steady idle that came from the bike's "electronic ignition" which he had not had reason to touch in his ten years of riding the bike. So I was a bit surprised to find the breaker points in there, however he was correct about the ease of starting and steady idle, hot or cold. Even John Mcdougall, who builds and supplies a very good electronic ignition system for Vincents, was surprised at the starting and idle of this points equipped bike.

ksbundy

Active Forum User
VOC Member
I run a triumph points set up on my racer for many years. It was fixed timing with no advance. I machined up the housing and shaft to take the triumph points plate and cam. Just shifted the mounting holes on one set of points, around 25 degrees. I think I had to grind a little of the points base to get clearence. I ran Yamaha 12 volt coils mounted under the seat. The only problem was that I had misfiring problems with the condensors beside the coils, I ended up mounting them on the cap of the points cover and the problem went away. System went well and started very easily with 12.5 : 1 cr with GP's on methanol. Just ran a battery which had sufficent charge for practice and 4 or 5 races (depended if you got into the final). I ended up converting a points plate for my brothers racer after he had problems with a magneto. He used the housing of a Norton Mercury which fitted straight up. I also bought a similar setup from a chap at a bike show at Stanford (I think) it was for a single, but could be easily converted to a twin points plate, I will have to have a look and see if it has the advance mechanism in it, and in which direction it goes.

ksbundy

Active Forum User
VOC Member
I went through my old parts and found the points set. It needed one of the mounting holes removed to fit in, so the points were only held onto the plate by one screw.

ign points.jpg

Regards Ken

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hello Ken, So yours is the same as Rons at the start of this thread!!, Where did you mount it ? Or did you run it the wrong way round, and because it was fixed it was ok, Or am I Wrong, Again !!

Oldhaven

VOC Member
Thanks very much Ken. The attached picture is the auto advance and contact breaker from a '72 Commando. Using Ken's scheme of moving the points plate and this auto advance that rotates opposite mine , I can get a 55 degree dual points system that mounts where the magneto does. I think another more fussy option is to soften the cam and grind one of the corners of the cam to move the opening point to 205 from 180. then the cam would be case hardened again. Does that sound about right?

Ron

anti-clockwise.JPG