Norton Box Layshaft Gear

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
As I recall the Buller racer gearbox was legal for BHR because they could prove it was fitted 'back in the day' on that machine.
We were all mates back then and we all ran close to the rules I know the tank was just a shell as the steering damper came through a slot in the fibre glass at the front!
I still say the 5 foot rule ( if it looks period it's ok). is the best way to run vintage racing.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
A year or so ago I saw and spoke to Graham Buller at a Mallory Park practice day. He told me that dad Vic had passed. Graham was still racing and I think he had a Manx Norton in the back of his van. I can't remember if he said they still had a Vincent racer but if he does I don't think it comes out anymore. I used to enjoy my little "chats" with Vic when I was involved with vintage racing. He was usually asking me to OK something or other when he was getting flak about his bikes. I was keen to encourage him as his was one of the few Vincent machines still being raced at these meetings.

greg brillus

VOC Member
That picture above of the twin racer is one of my favorites, those pipes hand made from very thin walled tube by John Renwick himself I believe, same as the ones he made for Reg Bolton for his 1250 twin racer. I have held them in my hands and they are very light weight..........I'll see if I can put some pics on here of my latest Vin racer.........Norton framed, TTI box and so on.

greg brillus

VOC Member
Here is a picture of my racer. Hopefully this will work as I'm doing this via my phone...... So don't laugh...... Cheers..... Greg.

Attachments

• IMG20200625072128.jpg
    IMG20200625072128.jpg
    318.7 KB · Views: 46

greg brillus

VOC Member
So that seemed to work........Ok TTI box, 6 speed, the shift is wrong for me, that is why all the stupid linkages. However, I will be changing the box for a magnesium 5 speed soon, with the shift pattern the right way.........One up 4 down.......as it should be.........Sorry to alter the thread, I'm just excited to be able to post a picture.......

greg brillus

VOC Member
Dammit........I knew one of you would notice that.......... Actually that pic is a few weeks old now......I'll have to update with some newer ones..........I wanted to start a thread on its build on account of the mods I've done which are not drastic by any means, but still quite a few interesting ones non the same. My main aim was to keep the overall weight down, and I think i have done reasonably well....... I will start a new thread so Eddie doesn't "Fire me"............... o_O

davidd

VOC Member
those pipes hand made from very thin walled tube by John Renwick himself I believe, same as the ones he made for Reg Bolton for his 1250 twin racer.

John had a gent who bent the thin wall pipes by torch. I think something happened, like a divorce, and the pipe bending stopped. Many years later at a sprint, the bender stopped at John's pit and chatted with him. The bending started again!

Greg, Very nice work...and clever!

IMG20200625072128.jpg

David