Non Vincent Help required

Pete Appleton

VOC Hon. Editor
Staff member
VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
I know that many of you will be horrified at the mention of another make of motorcycle but I am desperate...so here goes.
I recently bought a rusty heap of bits that I am assured will one day become a BSA flat tank H2 of 1923. It lacks a carburettor that is of a very odd design as you will see from the picture. This carb is made of bronze and seems to be manufactured by BSA. Has anyone got one lurking under a bench or knows where I might find one ? I am quite happy to pay a decent price.

I will now go and shred my VOC membership card and cleanse myself by dismantling a rapide.

Cheers
Pete:eek:

Attachments

• carb.JPG
    carb.JPG
    6.3 KB · Views: 86

nkt267

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Can't help with the carb I'm afraid but (refering to non vincent publication but at least they give us good write ups) Real Classic have an article on a 1921 500cc TT racer with the same type of carb.Slightly worrying is the following:-
Quote 'I asked if the bike was now in running condition,and was greeted with a mildly hysterical reply to the effect that (1) I had to be joking,and (2) they would hardly run in 1921,never mind now!'
The TT racer is on display in the National Motorcycle Museum
Good luck with your search.With help I am getting more parts together for my 1932 Sunbeam 9A,and I've been searching on and off for nearly 40 years:D
Now i'll have to rebuild the timing case in the Comet as pennance.:(

nkt267

VOC Member
You will have to start non Vincent threads under assumed names.Then you can double your turnover.And with your online ordering your PA can have a lie in.John:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Pete Appleton

VOC Hon. Editor
Staff member
VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
Sour Grapes

I will make sure that my PA is ready in the morning with her pad & pen to take your orders you bad boys :D

Russell is just upset cos he can't sell me any bits for it. Just to make up for it I will go to the pennine rally this weekend and try to break something really expensive to cheer him up.
On the subject of P.As how is the 'wee dumpy lassy' settling in in taffy land ? Are you having to spend more evenings in the shed yet ?:p
Pete

Comet Rider

VOC Member
B&B Carb

Pete it looks like an early Brown and Barlow carb, more commonly known as B&B. If you let me know the choke size we maybe able to help.

Neil:D

Debbie Kemp

VOC Member
I don't know, will I ever live down the title handed down by a certain Scot?:confused:

Russ seems to have been tamed since his new P.A. started work - she has made him knuckle down to some longer hours in the office rather than playing with his "toys" in the shed. I think he may need therapy pretty soon!:D

Comet

VOC Member
So what your saying is get a female assistant and spend more time doing your job and less time playing with your toy.!!!!

Pete Appleton

VOC Hon. Editor
Staff member
VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
Pete it looks like an early Brown and Barlow carb, more commonly known as B&B. If you let me know the choke size we maybe able to help.

Neil:D

Thanks for that Neil, The stub that the carb fits on is 1-3/16" and the hole up it is 1". I don't know if it is clear from the low res picture but the important feature is that there are two round barrels going horizontally across the bore of the carb.
I went to the National motorcycle museum, window shopping, at the weekend and the only two bikes that they have with this device are BSA s and around the top of the float bowl of one it had 'BSA Carburettor'
If you can locate anything like this that would be great, I am not too bothered about bore size as I can sleeve it and it will probably run like a ruptured duck anyway.

Pete

John Appleton

VOC Member
I don't know, will I ever live down the title handed down by a certain Scot?:confused:

Russ seems to have been tamed since his new P.A. started work - she has made him knuckle down to some longer hours in the office rather than playing with his "toys" in the shed. I think he may need therapy pretty soon!:D
Not sure that something did not get lost in the translation from scottish to english.Could Mr. Dunbar possibly have said ''Deborah '' and not ''dumpy''?:D Speaking as Russ's therapy consultant,I really think he should heed my reccomendations regarding riding to Austria via Germany, Poland and the Czech Republic. 400km through the mountains from Vienna to Wagrain should do the trick!
John A