Non Vincent but can anyone help point me in the right direction?

BlackLightning998

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Evening All,
A bike I am in the process of restoring needs the brake calipers re-anodised in a gold finish. Can anyone recommend a company that can do the job for me to stripped and roughly cleaned calipers?
Regards

Howard

VOC Member
Hi Stuart,
Sorry to see you’re still having speedo problems. I’ve never had a “proper“ Vin speedo, so I haven’t got involved in your previous discussions. Just a thought, and you may have already been down this route, is the cable going into the wheel end gearbox (PD32?) correctly? You may be causing fatigue in the cable by bending it every rev, if the cable isn’t concentric and parallel to the worm that drives it. If the bearings (casing bore) is worn the worm may look concentric until the wheel turns.
Sorry if I’m going over old ground.

H

greg brillus

VOC Member
Hi there, give the calipers a light bead blast to clean the alloy up, blast off with compressed air making sure to remove all grit from the small galleries (remove the bleed nipples first) then go to a local light aircraft facility where they repair light planes and engines. Ask someone in one of the maintenance hangers if they can dip your calipers in their ALODINE bath, which they will hang on say a piece of wire and dip in the solution for 30 to 45 seconds. Remove from solution, rinse thoroughly in clean water, and blow dry with compressed air......jobs done....can't imagine they would charge anything, but you can always shout them a beer.!!! this puts a nice gold etch coating on the surface which can be left as it is or painted as required. Either way it prevents further corrossion of the alloy.....cheers...Greg.

Albervin

VOC Member
Evening All,
A bike I am in the process of restoring needs the brake calipers re-anodised in a gold finish. Can anyone recommend a company that can do the job for me to stripped and roughly cleaned calipers?
Regards
Have you changed the spade at the bottom? I have had some awful spade drives that just did not grip the cable properly resulting in errant cable spinning, broken cables and cables unwinding. It may be best to send the whole speedo system to an expert to bench test as it is sometimes only a problem when the parts heat up. Our local guy used to bench test some units for 200+ miles to find faults.

vibrac

VOC Member
That Alodine comment gave me some good reading
pity you cant get the powder in small amounts it seems it used to have chromium in it but now doesent, but the transportation restrictions havent caught up yet
or have I missed a chapter?