Non Vin - Car (Gasp!) related

bmetcalf

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
The screw that holds the cam on the shaft of a '28 - '31 Ford distributor is .325-30tpi. On the forum where I read this, the members, who presumably have older Machinery's Handbooks, are unfamiliar with that thread. Do any UK fellows here know of that thread?

Howard

VOC Member
Hi Bruce

My Machinery's Handbook is 1968 (it was my grandad's - honest) and, unless I've missed one, there isn't a 30 TPI thread in there. Every one near 30 seems to be either 28 or 32.

H

mr.hutch

VOC Member
Interesting one this, Bruce,
in one of my books circa 1929, there are exotic threads described in great detail such as, French Standard System, USS Small and Whitworth Small etc., but the only one to have 30tpi, is The American Society of Mechanical Engineers, ( 60 degrees ), Number 10, with a nominal diameter of .190, tapping drill 24. I don't know if this is of any use, probably not, but it is interesting anyway.

go carefully mr hutch

The screw that holds the cam on the shaft of a '28 - '31 Ford distributor is .325-30tpi. On the forum where I read this, the members, who presumably have older Machinery's Handbooks, are unfamiliar with that thread. Do any UK fellows here know of that thread?

Last edited:

Albervin

VOC Member
ford were "famous" for making their own threads and worst, making fasteners so only ford spanners would fit!
Douglas also did the same. Cunning bit of marketing! Most threads on my old Douglas are 25 TPI, this meant that all replacement fasteners originally had to be purchased from the factory.
As one of the 2 major suppliers of motorcycles to the British forces in WWI this would have had a most beneficial effect on the bottom line.