Noisy Exhaust

peter.clews

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I am looking for advise on available silencers. My Rapide delivers a sharp staccato bark . The bike is very healthy but obtrusive, I realise I should be pleased but I am looking for some decibel reduction without too much performance loss. The silencer fitted looks to be standard (about 7-8 years old ) Regards Peter Clews

Albervin

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Noise vs power

The best balance between noise & power seems to be the VOCS muffler. Several people have compared power outputs of various silencers over the years & this seems to be the best compromise. You may have to adjust your jetting after fitting to obtain optimum power. If originality is not an issue then Supertrapp offer a tuneable muffler that has been fitted to many Vincents.

nkt267

VOC Member
If you can still hear the engine rattle it's not noisy enough:D
Seriously though the VOCS spiral baffle silencer works well and is not as noisy as my Toga exhaust.But if you have MK2 cams then it will still be quite er er er fruity.John

Prosper Keating

Non-VOC Member
The VOCSC silencer is very good for built-up areas but I find that one does lose a few mph towards the top end compared to Burgess-style silencers. I use the baffled item for town and suburbs because it's a good idea to give Joe Normal as little cause as possible to write furious letters to his local council and his representative about noisy motorbikes but if I am going for a blast or down to see the in-laws (around 600km), I put the noisy tube on for faster cruising. Not only do the natives hear me coming but they are also less likely to drive two feet from my rear number plate, trying to read what it says on the stop light...

PK

Howard

VOC Member
The VOCSC silencer is very good for built-up areas but I find that one does lose a few mph towards the top end compared to Burgess-style silencers. I use the baffled item for town and suburbs because it's a good idea to give Joe Normal as little cause as possible to write furious letters to his local council and his representative about noisy motorbikes but if I am going for a blast or down to see the in-laws (around 600km), I put the noisy tube on for faster cruising. Not only do the natives hear me coming but they are also less likely to drive two feet from my rear number plate, trying to read what it says on the stop light...

PK

I like your last comment. I'm in favour of louder exhausts - perhaps the "I didn't see you mate" brigade will hear you instead, but then I often think that most non-motorcyclist car drivers are related to the Pinball Wizard when it comes to spotting motorcyclists.

Silencers will always be a compromise, you either stuff them full of baffles and packing, and kill the gas flow, or you cut your Burgess in half and weld in a piece of exhaust pipe and then weld up the silencer back around it, a la "road legal" racers.

Less light hearted point, in the 60s Motorcycle Mechanics (I think) had an article on a big single special (DBD34 Goldie as I remember) called Ghengis Khan (or some other vicious conquerer) it had a virtually straight through silencer with a butterfly valve type baffle controlled by a choke lever. I don't know if it worked but it might be a workable compromise.

I use the old Dunstall type, it gives me headaches, but I don't have to talk to the wife on the back.

Albervin

VOC Member
Back in "the olden days" some veteran machines had a cable or rod operated baffle in their exhaust system. The theory was open for the open road & closed for town. Maybe worth a re-visit?:rolleyes:

Peter Stokes

VOC Member
Noisy exhausts!

(quote from Howard - I use the old Dunstall type...)

Dunstall. Strewth - that brings back memories, I fitted Dunstall 'amplifiers' (no way could they be called silencers) on my old 750 Ducati for a while, I know they rattled neighbours windows (the neighbours said so), and they were uncomfortable for me riding it, even accounting for wind noise and the padding in a crash hat.

Burgesses are nice - had one on my Rap in the seventies - and have one on my 1954 Ferguson tractor! A whistling, twittering sound on the overrun seems a feature of them.

Pete

peter.clews

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Chipping back into the thread I started, I appreciate your responses I dont believe Howard cant hear it he is only about 6 miles away. The silencer was bought from Lymm about 2002. I have had a 3 year leave of absense from my Rapide .I defected to BMW R60 and R69s ( the mechanical and exhaust silence was eerie ) I am not seeking that but I will try the new silencer to reduce the interest of others. I hope you will forgive my transgression They have been sold Peter