No Spark Front

ericg

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Here is the picture: Brand new D distributor, new plugs, new HT leads, new coil, all has been swapped and changed and still no sprak at front while the rear is big, fat and blue.
Any idea?
Thanks.
Eric

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hello Eric, It's got to be a fault in the cap ? Tracking to maybe the side clips ? Have you checked the points open on both cam lumps ?? Cheers Bill.

ericg

VOC Member
The thing being that I started this fresh engine a few days ago, all seemed to be ok, it even responded to some carb tuning. Actually I have lost front spark after the first short ride.
Eric

timetraveller

VOC Member
The fact that it started before does not rule out the tracking idea. My suggestion would be to start it, if possible, and then run the engine in the dark to look for a wayward spark. If it will not start then try to find a friend who will kick it over, in the dark, while you look for the blue flash of a leaking spark.

Last edited:

John Cone

VOC Member
i had the same problem a few weeks ago. It would run only on the back pot and gradually fade, it turned out to be the condenser, replaced it and bingo.

timetraveller

VOC Member
Any condenser intended for use with an automotive ignition system will do. When mine leaked wax all over the place I had trouble finding one of the correct size to fit inside the original distributor and ended up with a smaller one, fastened on externally to the distributor. It has been ok for years.

redbloke1956

Non-VOC Member
I have a similar problem that I would like some advice about, I have lost spark at the rear, new plug, new lead, new cap, new magneto, timing is perfect ........................................................................................................ bloody unreliable Comets?

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Don't knock it Red, Half the pots, Half the trouble !! I never liked Comets when I was young, But love them now, And there better on petrol, If you want to be Green !! Cheers Bill.