No More MOTs!

G

Graham Smith

From the FBHVC

Historic Vehicles MoT Exemption Review

Mike Penning, Parliamentary Under Secretary of State for Transport, has announced the results of the Historic Vehicles MoT Exemption Review. The DfT is in favour of exemption for pre-1960 vehicles and it is proposed this will take effect from 18 November 2012. Owners of exempted vehicles will be able to take them for a voluntary test under the new regulations.

The FBHVC’s initial response is a guarded welcome to a result that matches the wishes of the majority of respondents to the Federation’s MoT survey. We hope to get more information about the detail of the proposals from the DfT in due course, in order to make a proper assessment - particularly about passenger carrying vehicles in commercial use which we were surprised to note are also to be exempt from MoT testing.

In general historic vehicle owners are law abiding and safety conscious and are aware that they have a duty to ensure their vehicles are in a roadworthy condition and accept the exemption from MoT testing is not an excuse for poor maintenance.

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Vibrac, unless you are a time served motorcycle engineer,

As a qualified time served mechanical engineer I know what a 'Motorcycle engineer' is Roy, is I spent 10 mins with one explaining that tapered roller bearings mean that there is a minor shake at the wheel rim rather than the more common roller bearings.
Or the one who said the headlight beam was to low while resting his corpulence on the tank and was amazed that it was spot on when I asked him to sit in the correct position.
I will not shut up when it comes to individual freedom , responsibility and the growth of the Nanny state

vibrac

VOC Member
One swallow does not make a summer
I was initially simply pointing out to those who were moaning about the end of compulsory MOT's that we don't need compulsion to be responsible
Its better that you deal with your machines safety yourself not necessarily do the job but if you feel you should get someone to check it out then do so and if you are happy that its OK then thats OK too.
There were laws (and still are) about having a safe machine having a cursory check once a year does not obviate that nor does not having one

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
Vibrac, despite what could become a personal issue or vendetta, I still beleive that most vintage /classic machines are built and maintained by unskilled amatures. Surely some sort of safety check should be in order?

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Who's to bet on insurance companys refusing to cover vehicles that don't have a current MOT / inspection even if they don't require one legally.

vibrac

VOC Member
Vibrac, despite what could become a personal issue or vendetta, I still believe that most vintage /classic machines are built and maintained by unskilled amatures. Surely some sort of safety check should be in order?
absolutely Roy I would want too,but I object to being forced too by big brother, I believe that if people are never given responsibility for their own actions then don't be surprised if they act Irresponsibly.
Once again I was initially simply pointing out to those who were moaning about the end of compulsory MOT's that we don't need compulsion to be responsible
in fact compulsion breeds irresponsibility

G

Graham Smith

The problem is, if there had never been an MOT test, and the government suddenly introduced it, then there would have been uproar with people suggesting the demise of the world.

On the other hand, as is the case now, the government have taken advice (unusual in itself) and have now decided to remove a layer of red tape, these old vehicles don't need to take a yearly test (presumably because so few of them failed it). Similarly, many people seem to be totally against this idea. Whichever government's in power, they're never going to please 100% of the people 100% of the time.

It's called democracy gentlemen - if you don't like what they've introduced, go to your local MP and give him your point of view.

I for one however, will still be taking my bike for a yearly voluntary test.

Graham

PS - Perhaps David Cameron should go to see Rupert Murdoch to ask him what to do!

G

Graham Smith

Furthermore, I have been asked to draw everyone's attention to the following rules we all signed up for when we joined the forum...

I may have crossed 3c in my previous post!

3. Conduct
(a) Members of the Forum are required to conduct themselves in a civil manner;
(b) Members who are deemed to have conducted themselves in a way that is detrimental to the Objects and or the continued well being of the Forum may be excluded;
(c) Members are discouraged from engaging in Political, Nationalists or Religious commentary as these often lead to personal offence, and are not appropriate to the scope of this forum;
(d) Although the administrators and moderators of The Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club Forums will attempt to keep all objectionable material off this forum, it is impossible for us to review everything;
(e) The VOC Forum prohibits advertising, spam and/or solicitation within the body of individual forum posts. When reported by other forum members, or when we discover violations of this policy, we will take appropriate action up to and including banning your account. We may also edit your posts and/or profile signatures to remove offending content;
(f) The Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason;
(g) By agreeing to these rules, you warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-oriented, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws.

clevtrev

VOC Member
Vibrac, despite what could become a personal issue or vendetta, I still beleive that most vintage /classic machines are built and maintained by unskilled amatures. Surely some sort of safety check should be in order?
The armatures on my bike are perfect. ;-)