NMM Grey Flash 2019

ClassicBiker

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Love the Tank and seat, Has he got the front wheel Spindle, Arse about Face, Or am I going Mad ?.
Cheers Bill.
Front and rear are both bassackwards.
Not Arse about Faces or bassackwards. Totally hosed up. The front forks have nuts on both sides.
1567516450772.png

1567516485821.png

The rear is no better.
1567516674554.png

1567516720526.png

Never tried it, so how do you turn the axle nut with the fork abutment in the way?

I would suggest as he has nuts on both sides of the fork, along with lock nuts it appears, the side with the abutment is done up first on the solid axle. The axle is then slip through the fork from the abutment side and the the nut and lock nut are placed on that side.

What I find interesting is there appears to be a washer under the shoulder nut on the right (if it is a shouldered nut) and it appears not one on the left. Very curious.

Oh well, done picking holes. Moving on.
Steven

Cyborg

VOC Member
I don’t think those are nuts on both sides. H25/3AS on the front and H25/4 on the rear is what I assume should be on there. According to M045 and M046 in the spares list....

Last edited:

davidd

VOC Member
The rear looks fine except that I put the nut on the timing side. The front is also backwards, which makes some sense. I keep the nut (front and rear axle) on the timing side because you do not want some helpful person putting a wrench on the rear axle nut and turning it until the rear lug breaks. I think it is best to have the nuts on the drive side and second best to have them on the same side (if it is the timing side.)
01.jpg

06.jpg

Oddly, the front axle is double nutted. Although the spacer for the brake stay is usual, I don't remember the stay having double diameters.
03.jpg

I was also wondering what is stashed in the F106/1?
02.jpg

I was a little surprised that the shifter was not stock, nor the pegs. It seems like a lot of work when the stock items are pretty easy to make or find. I would have used a Grey Flash chain adjuster, also.

David

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
Strikes me this is a typical museum resto. "all the gear-no idea". Some years ago, after the dreadful fire, they decided to restore their dmw typhoon. There were only two built. I was currently racing the other. Whilst I was more than willing to help out, I could tell from the questions and the way they were asked that their enthusiasm far outstripped their ability. They completed the chosen task, if I were to list the faults it would sound like sour grapes.

Last edited by a moderator: