NGK plugs and more

teunvandriel

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
For the last 14,000 (!) miles I'm using NGK Platium B7EVX plugs for my Rapide. Since I installed them they were never replaced and are in excellent condition. Ignition is a Lucas KVF Twin magneto, refirbished 13 years ago by a Dutch restorer. The bike is running fantastic with this combination, 9 out 10 times it starts with first or second kick, warm or cold, summer or winter (the bike is also used on a dry, sunny winter day!). I clean the front plug every 1000 miles because I suspect a little oil cosumption due to a leaking inlet valve guide seal. Occessionally I adjust the electrode gaps.
Carbs I use are the original 1 1/16 Amals, restored by myself, it never gave one problem!
The few non original parts on this bike are a perfect working E3L/Bell (Miller look a like) dynamo with a V tec regulator, Koni rear shock, and for our safety (most rides spouce accompanies me) those amazing WELL WORKING Dutch VSM front brakes. For my wifes' comfort the seat is fully spring.
Clutch is the original Vincent one and is working PERFECT.
We have more bikes for road use, the Rapide is used 3,000 miles per year and is our favourite and most appreciated bike for the twisty dyke roads here in Holland where we can easily compete with most modern Japs. Highway cruising speed is 85 mph. Many people I know with very expensive 21st century parts on their Vincents are experiencing more problems then we do with our most 60 years old original componets on the Rap. Often thes owners are trying to solve non-existing problems.
Thank you Mr. Irving!​

Peter. C

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I can confirm that NGK Platinum plugs give no trouble in a well sorted engine. I use B8EVX and they have been a fit and forget item in my Viscount. I tried BP5,6&8 ES and all failed without warning, no coughs or splutters just instant Comet.

Tom Gaynor

VOC Member
What compression ratio do you have? The reason I ask is that while I use NGK 6 or equivalent, I've used 5's. In fact because i had worn guides and bores at the time 5's worked better than 6's, because they got hot enough to burn the oil off. (My Suzuki T20 of 35 years ago used NGK 7's! I still have a couple somewhere. All the EVX plugs I have are 10's - just a wee bit too hard I think.

nobby

VOC Member
Hi Oysterman!
On behalf of Teun: The pistons I use are Suzuki SP370 with a compression ratio of 1:7,8

Tom Gaynor

VOC Member
Hi Nobby. Hope you and Atte(?) are well.

I would have thought that B7 was harder than necessary with 7.8:1 - but on the other hand, if it ain't broke, don't fix it!