Newby questions please be gentle

Dean Grace

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi guys,
I have inherited a 1951 series C Vincent Comet from my late father, I spent quite a few hours with him in the shed years ago while he worked on the Comet but he has left me an incredibly big jigsaw puzzle to put back together, I'm finding parts in all corners of the shed and some outside of it as well.....in fact some of them have been in the most ridiculous places that it amazes me that he'd even put them there LOL

I have searched around here but alas have had no luck as yet so if your answer may be here by all means post a link for me to follow.

So I am here asking what you all might think are stupid questions but I am really needing all the help I can get so please be patient with me :)

The questions thus far:

1: Footrest spacers part: F51, on the 51 Comet; are they both the same length for left and right?as I have 3 all the same size.

2: What is the length, thickness and thread of the footrest hanger bolt? part: FT48/2

3: Is it important to have matching frame and engine numbers? if so what is the main reason?

4: Is there a reputable tank painting firm in Australia and do they do the striping and transfer placement?

5: Miller dynamo drive gear; where might I find one?

6: The FT23/2 engine plates are they normally steel? why would I have a set of alloy ones? I do have a set of steel ones as well but my father had some alloy ones in the shed too and they look to be factory made would they be from a "racing kit" or something?

7: Voltage regulators for a 6 volt system, can I get a solid state type to fit in the Miller regulator box so as to not detract from the original look?

8: Is there any publication or website that can provide dimensions of bolts, studs and thread sizes? I have a metal lathe in the shed and am quite able to use it but need a bit of info on this subject(if it's the done thing that is)

Thanks for looking and thanks in advance for any answers I may get.

Howard

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
1. Same length on mine.
2. 15.25" long 1/2" dia probably BSF, but Know Thy Beast would tell you.
3. Only important if you want to sell, collectors like matching numbers, riders don't give a flying fig. BTW engine and frame numbers are (I think) 1900 different on "matching number machines".
4. Check with Aus section, I'm too far away.
5. Vincent Owners Club Spares Co.
6. Dunno
7. Yes. Try VOCSC.
8. KTB

H

Hugo Myatt

VOC Member
I. Same length on Comets. Twin has a longer one on the primary drive side only. Most were made of alloy but steel ones do exist, some chromed or cadmium plated.
2. A rough measurement in situ on the bike is 15 inches.
5. Miller drive consists of gear pinion E228, washer 508 and special nut ET154. Also required garter oil seal E224. It is often possible to fit 2 of these in place to produce a belt and braces oil seal. It may be possible to obtain the pinion E228 second hand but it must have a perfect surface on the shank where it mates with the oil seal, otherwise try VOC Spares Co.
6. Originally steel. Alloy ones have been made privately but are they may not be strong enough to support the machine on the prop stands or when used as a front stand.
7. Dave Lindsley does or did fit the JG solid state unit into the Miller cartridge box in 6 or 12 volt. He would probably require you to provide the original box. However it is not an ideal solution as there is no provision for heat dissapation and it is subject to engine vibration in that position. More modern units can be fixed to the tie piece F106 or under the battery platform. www.davelindsley.co.uk Email Dave@davelindsley.co.uk

nkt267

VOC Member
My regulator is under the battery platform just as Hugo suggests, held in place by countersunk screws fitted from the top and nuts underneath.John

Albervin

VOC Member
Dean. Consider fitting a regulator that can be switched to 12V. A good Miller generator can be used in conjunction with a 12V regulator and 12V battery to give better lighting.
Depending on which state you live in there are several people who can sort the electrics and others who do excellent paint. However, consider leaving the paint as is if it is not too bad; there are too many shiny black bikes and not enough "well worn" ones around. Mine are all somewhere in between. You need at least 5 books to play with a Vincent; Know Thy Beast, Richardson, Spare parts list, Instruction sheets and Forty Years on. Be aware there are errors and omissions in all of them. The new Alternative Spares list is supposed to be excellent but also has errors and omissions. Most threads that join steel to steel are BSF and most threads in alloy are BSW but there are exceptions. There are also BA threads and a rogue metric thread.

Dean Grace

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Redbloke 1956: I'm located on the Mid North Coast NSW mate about 2 hours up from Newcastle :)

Thanks for the input guys, I appreciate it a lot!

Looks like I'll be searching out some books in the very near future, and also becoming a member of VOC.

Dad in his infinite wisdom stripped the tank back to metal to fix a dent, and then sprayed it black with a paint that resembles tar mixed with orange peel so it won't matter too much if it gets a respray in a nicer paint.

I'm starting a file of information I find here and there and do have a Richardson book and also a Riders Handbook "Tenth Edition" Dad had quite a few magazines with different articles in them too which I found stashed in a box at mums.

I would suggest he's sitting up there looking down and having a giggle at me and my frustrations/efforts and silly mistakes like throwing a Miller regulator cover in the bin due to my ignorance "what the hell did he keep this for" where the words I used; he was an electrician so there are assorted junction boxes and other electrical gear laying around and I literally thought it was just an old junction box....silly me! I have since sourced 2 regulator covers so I have that...covered :)

clevtrev

VOC Member
Dean. Consider fitting a regulator that can be switched to 12V. A good Miller generator can be used in conjunction with a 12V regulator and 12V battery to give better lighting.
Depending on which state you live in there are several people who can sort the electrics and others who do excellent paint. However, consider leaving the paint as is if it is not too bad; there are too many shiny black bikes and not enough "well worn" ones around. Mine are all somewhere in between. You need at least 5 books to play with a Vincent; Know Thy Beast, Richardson, Spare parts list, Instruction sheets and Forty Years on. Be aware there are errors and omissions in all of them. The new Alternative Spares list is supposed to be excellent but also has errors and omissions. Most threads that join steel to steel are BSF and most threads in alloy are BSW but there are exceptions. There are also BA threads and a rogue metric thread.
What`s this `rogue` metric thread ?