Newbie with VERY little knowledge on Comets

Mike 40M

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Some 50 years ago I got two big boxes with Comet parts for less than £20. I never managed ta get some missing part so I gave them away to a Shadow guy. Now I have found a running -51 Comet to complete an almost forgotten dream. She has 3500 miles since a total engine overhaul. She runs well, starts on first kick, no alarming mechanical noise. Only things to do with her seems to be a bit of brake work and a proper concentric setup. Of course some normal routine service will be done.
Where do I find a riders manual and a workshop manual?
Any hints on what to think of.
Mike

nkt267

VOC Member
If you havn't already done so then join the VOC..this will give you access to the members only sections of the forum and also the spares discount for members.
the most useful books are 'Know thy beast' by E M G Stevens and 'Vincent Motorcycles' by Paul Richardson. These are usually available new from the spares Company.
But your best source of 'Working Knowledge' of Vincents is from members of a local section. It appears that you are in Sweden, there are 26 members listed in your country and when you are a member you will get the riders list with all their contact info.
It looks like you should have a good buy with your Comet, a restored bike with a few thousand miles on it is better than an untried restoration.
I prefer riding my comet to the twin that resides with me ( I don't own it ) . There are lots of local roads where i live in Suffolk and high speed cruising is not the norm, but my comet will cruise at the legal limit here of 70 Mph (112Kph) . And it uses less fuel than a twin..Enjoy your Comet..John

b'knighted

VOC Member
As John says you need Paul Richardson's book but I'd add the riders handbook and the illustrated parts list before Know Thy Beast. You'll find that most reference is to the twin but nearly all of it applies to the Comet. These publications will show you differences.

ClassicBiker

VOC Member
Once you've obtained the books listed above I would also suggest "Forty Year On", "Another Ten Years", and "The Instruction sheets". Not strictly necessary, but useful and entertaining.
Welcome and enjoy.
Steven

Mike 40M

VOC Member
Joined the club before joining the forum, can't see any members only sections. Ordered some of the books from Amazon. Spares Company has no manuals at present. But I ordered a new brake drum from them. Pricing is nice compared to what I have to pay for parts to my Manx.

b'knighted

VOC Member
Welcome - We used to have a moderator who we could ask to convert New Members of the forum to Vincent Owners Club status which will let the Members Only Forums show.
I don't know the procedure now, can any moderator tell us the current procedure?

Miss Amanda Waterscooter

VOC Member
Joined the club before joining the forum, can't see any members only sections. Ordered some of the books from Amazon. Spares Company has no manuals at present. But I ordered a new brake drum from them. Pricing is nice compared to what I have to pay for parts to my Manx.

Hello Mike

Welcome to the Club! We hope you enjoy your Comet as much as we enjoy ours. Ian from the VOC Spares Co Ltd tells me that the stock has now been corrected with all items available. However, for your information you will find all the manuals, publications, regalia etc on the new Vincent HRD Owners Club regalia site, https://vincentregalia.mamutweb.com Hope this helps.

Kind regards

Jenny Bloor

ClassicBiker

VOC Member
Hello Mike

Welcome to the Club! We hope you enjoy your Comet as much as we enjoy ours. Ian from the VOC Spares Co Ltd tells me that the stock has now been corrected with all items available. However, for your information you will find all the manuals, publications, regalia etc on the new Vincent HRD Owners Club regalia site, https://vincentregalia.mamutweb.com Hope this helps.

Kind regards

Jenny Bloor

I wondered what happened to all that stuff.:confused: But I can't get to the site while at work,:( the my work web filter says it's a job search and career development site.:rolleyes: Oh well have to wait till I get home.
Steven