Newbie saying Hi...

14cheeks

New Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hello all.
I would just like to say hello to all.
The main reason for joining is for some information really.

I was wondering how much money you would have to spend to get a decent Vincent?
Not a minty mint showbike,but a good useable original taxed and mot'd one.
I know that they are getting more and more expensive,but what kind of money am I looking at and what can I expect to get.

Thought the best place to ask would of course be here!!!

Look forward to your Hello's and some vital info....

Thanks in advance
Nick

Ken Tidswell

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
A touring Shadow went for £29,000 from a Club member to another club member, advertised in MPH the club journal
recently. Rapides go for this sort of figure on the open market, at auction they are much higher due to the buyers' premium which has VAT added to it. Ken

timetraveller

VOC Member
And in the Kent and Sussex area one local members Shadow, which he had owned for 50 years, was recently sold to another local member for £35,000. It was not advertised, just the word put around that it was available.

14cheeks

New Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Morning.

Thanks very much for the info and the prices at which they are selling for. So where would be the best place to soure a good genuine Vincent? Of course I'm looking for a genuine machine and not a mis match. Do you get a lot of them for sale in the MPH magazine?

Thanks
Nick

timetraveller

VOC Member
Morning to you too, Mr Cheeks. The thing is that it depends upon what you intend to do with the bike and what you mean by a mismatch. If you just want to store it as an investment then that is your choice and you probably need to get something whereby the engine and frame numbers are still the same as they were when the bike was new. Assuming that you want to ride the thing and get pleasure from it then it is much more important that all is in good condition. No worn out bearings, pistons or cams etc. Most Vincents rattle. If it sounds like a bag of nails then either walk away from it or be prepared to spend a lot of money and time sorting it out. Much more important than matching numbers etc. are things like stripped exhaust port threads, leaking petrol tanks or serious oil leaks. Is the compression good? Can you stand on the kick starter? Does it start easily and tick over evenly? Are the carburettors in good condition or do the slides rattle around? What about the brakes? Vincent brakes should be good but some are badly adjusted and/or worn out. Do not be tempted by a lot of polished ali or paint. If it looks really smart but is mechanical mess then once again walk away.
You might not be aware that many Vincent parts from one bike will fit another. An early series ’B’ engine in a ‘C’ or even a ‘D’ frame is quite possible and does not make the bike any less of a pleasure to use. It is even possible to put a single cylinder Comet engine into a twin frame or vice versa. Once again, no problems, but the investors would not like it. If possible make contact with as many of the local sections of the VOC as you can reasonably travel to and get to know people. Most, but not all, Vincent owners are decent people who are not into bikes for money and will give you an honest opinion of any bikes which might be coming onto the market. . If possible try and find someone who is still using the bike but is getting too old and thinking of selling it. I have nothing to sell you so this advice is unbiased. Personally I would be wary of auction houses. They state that they will stand by what is sold but a local member paid a lot of money for a racing twin and then found that it had a scrap crankcase. They offered him £1,000 compensation when a new crankcase is nearly £3k plus all the work. Personally I would have sued the ar*e out of them and publicised their duplicity. Be warned.

Albervin

VOC Member
Timetraveller is spot on with what he has said. Join the club and get known. Some people complain that Vincent owners can be standoffish and aloof but sometimes it can be shyness (on both parts). Persevere and let it be known what you want and why. A matching numbers machine can command a premium due to the investors in the market but if you pay that premium and then have to pay for a major engine rebuild you will not only be not riding the bike for a year or more but you will have a machine that will have cost you more than the current market will generally support. I have had 25 years riding on non matching numbers machines and all of them are now worth considerably more than they owe me in purchase costs and repairs. Why not try to make some friends and get some test rides (as a rider or pillion) to get a feel for what a Vincent can really do? If I had gone down this route 25 years ago I would have saved myself a lot of money and heartache. Welcome to the forum and keep asking those questions.

deejay499

VOC Member
Best advice - yes, join the club and get to know some of the local VOC and go along to a section if possible. Put a wanted ad into the Mag and other journals saying how much you want one, to keep and ride it. I have known it to work previously.
If you find one, possibly a basket case depending on your mechanical skills, take a fellow Vincent owner along for another opinion. We got a 'D' Shadow in bits last year from a deceased's estate that had only been off the road for a matter of months, and at a very fair price. Again, it was for someone who had been looking for some time and has hardly been off it since we put it together. Good luck with your search.

Last edited:

14cheeks

New Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hello all.

Many thanks for the valuable information given in the previous posts,thank you.

Right where do I start....
The main reason for me wanting to buy a Vincent is for my dad. As every son knows,the parents will do almost anything for them. I have no children,and cannot have children due to my medical condition (I have CML). If you wish to look it up then please do. I could waffle on some more,but I wont!!!

I would like to try a buy one without him knowing......

I would like to get my dad a vincent as when we have been to many bike shows over the past 20 odd years these are the bikes that we have both drooled over!!! I'm in a position now where I can buy one,and if I can get the right bike for the right money then I will.
This bike will be cherished,ridden,and loved by both of us. I'll be the one trying to start it if my dad cant and he'll be the one riding it the most....:)
Like all things over time,we aren't a strong as we once were!!!

I would like (if I could find one) to get a matching number bike,with few owners,which has also been loved and ridden by the previous owner/s.

Yes it would be classed as an investment,but it will be ridden,and not looked at!!

This isn't me trying to get a cheap bike and then seeling it on,this willl be held onto for a long time.

As you have mentioned about buying from an auction house. This is something I would rather stay away from if possible,I would rather deal with someone personally,who can PERSONALLY tell me ALL about the bike.

I live in Wiltshire so if there is anyone who is close by which I could go and have a chat to about these bikes then that would be a great help.

Many Thanks
Nick

ET43

Non-VOC Member
Hi Nick,
My name is Phil Primmer and I am the Section Organiser for the Wiltshire area VOC. We meet at the Rose and Crown pub in Bulford Village at 8pm on the second thursday of each month if this is of any use to you. If you care to ring me in the evening on 01725 510953, I will be able to give you the low down on the different models, etc. Good Hunting, Phil ET43 Primmer