Newbie request help

grey25

Forum User
VOC Member
I am in the us and the very new proud owner of a 1950 black shadow.
I have started the bike 3 times and ridden it only for 5 minutes on a private road.
The problem is that the first time I started it the compression lever would kill the motor, now the compression lever will only cause the motor to studder but not stop.
I am not technical and was wondering if someone could give me step by step instructions ( maybe a few photos) on how to adjust the cable.
I apologize for asking such a basic question.

riptragle1953

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
It sounds to me as all you have to do is adjust the cable so it opens the vales more.... I can't see it so I really can't say anything for sure.

grey25

Forum User
VOC Member
Can someone provide info on adjusting the cable? I know this is real basic...
I joined the vincent club but there doesn't appear to be other members in St. Louis , mo

riptragle1953

Non-VOC Member
There should be a little metal gizmo somewhere on the cable that by undoing the locknut allows you to screw the adjuster in and out and relock the jam nut when you have made the cable the right length so when you pull the lever the engine turns over freely.
You want to insure that you don't make the cable too tight thus trying to open the valves with the handle untouched. You have it right when you can squeeze the lever a bit and all is still loose but when the lever is pulled fully to the bar... the engine becomes
compressionless. Good luck as there is much to learn.

notap

Non-VOC Member
here is a photo I just took of the cable adjusters (its my throttle cables, but the same setup should be on the decompression cable). Just follow Rips instructions to shorten/lengthen the cable. Basically lengthen it until you can stand on the kickstart with the decompression lever untouched, then when you pull it in, you should be able to easily kick through. Go to the owners club spares company and buy all the books, manuals, videos...and get a beer coaster too (its vital when things go wrong). Good luck. Rob
photo copy 2.jpg

Can someone provide info on adjusting the cable? I know this is real basic...
I joined the vincent club but there doesn't appear to be other members in St. Louis , mo

riptragle1953

Non-VOC Member
Indeed, no tap is right. If you are going to mess with a Vincent then it is up to you to get all the reading/instructional info you can lay your hands on.

Howard

VOC Member
It depends how standard your bike is. Some bar levers have a screwed adjuster instead of an adjuster in the cable. Similar technique - slacken the locknut, screw the adjuster out to give more decompression, in for less, then follow Notap. H

vibrac

VOC Member
Phew! You are flying in a 747, the crew is dead and you once flew a glider.
luckily you are in touch with ground control
unfortunately there are 1000 controllers of different abilities ready to speak to you
Yes read the manuals join the club
and ask the passengers in the plane (St Louis) if any of them ever been a pilot of anything
the worry is the statement "I'm not technical" the plus is, you are not afraid to ask
a browse on the net found a few commercial companies and LouVinMoto - St. Louis Vintage Motorcyclists
BUT keep in touch with ground control

Howard

VOC Member
Phew! You are flying in a 747, the crew is dead and you once flew a glider.
luckily you are in touch with ground control
unfortunately there are 1000 controllers of different abilities ready to speak to you
Yes read the manuals join the club
and ask the passengers in the plane (St Louis) if any of them ever been a pilot of anything
the worry is the statement "I'm not technical" the plus is, you are not afraid to ask
a browse on the net found a few commercial companies and LouVinMoto - St. Louis Vintage Motorcyclists
BUT keep in touch with ground control

No offence meant here, but if we're discussing how to adjust a cable, I think that glider was a balsa wood model. Seriously, Grey25, If this is the limit of your technical ability, join the club and get to know where you can get information and help locally(ish) - if you do any miles on your Shadow you're going to need a lot of backup. H

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
It's not terribly critical if the rest of the mechanism is ok . Simply adjust the inline adj. to allow between one quarter to a half inch of free play travel when the lever is gently pulled up on . No more than one half inch . This should lift both exhaust valves evenly if all else is
normal . It must never be felt to be tight , no slack . Sid .