Newbie request help

Big Sid

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
This to Grey 25 . Should be a simple adjustment to the free play in the cable . While the upper lever , clutch , should have about a quarter inch of free play the lower lever , compression release needs nearer a half inch before you feel resistance .
You really must get reference books to have the necessary info to draw upon .
First , the Riders Manual ,
Second , Paul Richardson s Book of the Vincent ,
A set of service sheets is priceless , Third .
Reams of usefull proven stuff in " Fourty Years On " to point you on the right direction , so much to learn .
A Vincent is all about maintenance and careful adjustments to extract the endless pleasure out of it , often for decades needing but few replacements if you treat it right . Coventry Spares usually has the books listed above , and stocks parts too . Great people . Reasonable prices . None better . If I can help please ask . Big Sid .

jim burgess

VOC Member
Thanks for the offer...I have order a few books...steep learning curve but I have plenty of time...

One last thing to check, take a look at the exhaust valve adjusters, (tappet adjuster) if one slacks off the valve lifter becomes less effective. If it is loose, you need to know, quickly! Welcome to the club and the "learning of the lore" don't be put off, when they are right, they are just so right.
Cheers
jim Burgess

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
It's Sid . Needing a few bits for the Burman clutch assembly in a Comet . Customers machine .
The 24 peculiar little rollers in the basket ,
The inner race piece that these rollers ride on ,
And the push rod itself is also missing .
Appreciate assistance with these missing bits . All thanks
sid@bigsid.com Thanks . Sid .

vibrac

VOC Member
the rollers are not 1/4 X 1/4 as you know
it was only when sorting my 1952 Triumph Trophy clutch that I found that they too use 1/4 X .230 odd rollers
so perhaps some old Triumph part suppliers may help I belive a few Triumphs were sold to the US :)

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
Sid, the Spares Co. has them part no. PR50/35x. Draganfly may also sell them. Roller race PR50/34x. Pushrod PR50/28x or make your own with a roller in the middle out of 1/4 silver steel. If you want to go really nuts there is a Royal Oilfield mod. of a mushroom lifter and needle roller that I am fitting to the COMET ON STEROIDS.

Last edited:

Phil Mahood

VOC Hon. Computer Officer
VOC Member
Here is what the cable activates inside the timing cover. It is possible that the tiny rollers in the arms have popped out rendering the mechanism ineffective at any cable adjustment.
DSC00268.jpg