Newbie request help

Panama

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
There may be a more serious problem here.
It sounds like the problem MIGHT be that the valve lifter is acting on one cylinder only, and not both. (Hence, the shuddering and continuing to run - it's running on ONE cylinder!)
This could be caused by failure of the link between the two "dog bones" in the timing chest or perhaps the big end roller has fallen out of one of the "dog bones" and it no longer lifts the cam follower.
If this is the case, it should be fixed quickly or contents of the timing chest could be seriously damaged by the loose bits.
This can be checked easily by removing the inspection caps and observing that the valve lifter is actually lifting the valve when operated.

b'knighted

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
There may be a more serious problem here.

As it did work and now doesn't you also need to check that the cable inner isn't on the verge of failure. Most likely place is at the lever where a non-rotating nipple may bend and re bend the cable until if snaps strand by strand. Check by pulling the lever in to the handlebars and inspecting the exposed half inch of cable between lever and handlebar clamp. As this may be your only method of stopping the engine, consider fitting an off switch. If you have a magneto this is done by replacing the cover over the points with a cut-out cap (see ebay item 260986682204) with an earthing cable to a push button or switch. This will enable you to kill the engine without the valve lifter and if a switch, rather than a push button, is used will stop anyone starting the engine without first switching on.

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
Definitely get the decompressor functioning as it should but do not use it for stopping the engine. It wil work for this, and some might tell us they have done it this way for years, however the decompressor is designed for ease of starting only. Those decompressor parts look a lot like a hummingbird skeleton. Heavy Duty they are not! A kill button is the way to go.

Glen

vibrac

VOC Member
Royal Enfield decompressors for start and stop plus with cables properly adjusted you can sort back from front. a good tool to assit the long swing kick on the rear pot
two plug holes per pot thats the way.
have a hardly ableson 'trigger' decompressor one in the road Comet going to try that way of starting when the R goes out of the months name

grey25

Forum User
VOC Member
Thanks for the help and advise ... I'm a old 356 Porsche guy ...fixing those are easy... This is the first motorcycle I've owned in 15 years .... A bit of a steep learning curve BUT I'm persistent .

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
I've been watching reports of April snow in the UK. And Marchuary has two Rs , that is why it was so cold there.
Those of us on the west coast of Canada sit and gloat. But not too much, it has rained and rained. Pretty mild though.

Glen

b'knighted

VOC Member
I've been watching reports of April snow in the UK. And Marchuary has two Rs , that is why it was so cold there.
Those of us on the west coast of Canada sit and gloat. But not too much, it has rained and rained. Pretty mild though.

Glen

Its just us Poms whinging although one of our section members is excused bikes for another month or so and then excused kickstarting for another three months after that. His Triumph Sprint went down on ice and broke his right leg.

vibrac

VOC Member
Thanks for the help and advise ... I'm a old 356 Porsche guy ...fixing those are easy... This is the first motorcycle I've owned in 15 years .... A bit of a steep learning curve BUT I'm persistent .

Well meet an opposite! never been a car man had the same car model for 20-25 years (kept each one till 150000m) one day decided to build a car just to see if It was that difficult so built a chesil speedster 1958 356 replica from a 1967 £250 beetle with £10,000 kit (get VAT back on accessories:)) only made one mistake, I did not put a roof on it
built it as an open top. so it sits in the Garage because when the sun shines its no contest, Looks real nice though

riptragle1953

Non-VOC Member
It's morning again... the time when in waking up all sorts of stuff rambles through my brain. I liked this fellows honesty in just saying it like it was: I don't know about this thing but I would like too. I also noticed his saying he was persistent.... damn good quality in this
racket! You say you are not technical.... but step by step you can learn what you need to know to care for your Vincent. And don't kick yourself when you screw something up as we all have done..... look at it as a lesson in what not to do again: you have learned something.
And remember that the Vincent is an engine that works like all the others.... the old text books are very valuable but much of what they say applied to what was on hand in 1950. Since then much has changed and you don't fill modern tires to 18 p.s.i anymore or use 50
weight non-detergent oil. So, yes seek knowledge and GOOD advice carefully .... get second opinions from fellows with a track record that verifies their knowledge. Be patient and think if the information received makes sense. I have told people that I have learned some
of my best and most useful lessons from people who had never seen a Vincent. Just my mornings musings.... that's all.