New Zealand Section National Rally

passenger0_0

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
The New Zealand Section has just had its National Rally held in Masterton, near Wellington, with around 40 members and 10 Vincent HRDs in attendance. There were 3 international guests including David Bowen and Tony Page.
The facilities provided by Mawley Holiday Park were fantastic and full credit for organising this event must go to Andy & Edith Rackstraw, Tim & Beate Stelzer and many others. Despite the recent cyclone Debbie the weather was fine throughout he weekend and most riders went off to tour and explore the surrounding beautiful rolling county roads. The well organised catering fed everyone and on Saturday night a quick-fire auction of Vincent books and related regalia kept everyone entertained.

I rode my old Series B Rapide from Auckland on Friday and returned on Sunday, tired and very happy, covering 938 miles. While at the rally I foolishly topped up my oil as my bike tends to burn some as it has covered over 100,000 miles since its last engine rebuild. It took less than 200 cc before I realised I'd completely overfilled the oil tank. All of this covered the bike on previously dry bike the return trip. To add to my 'experience' she also wouldn't start and had to be push-started. Embarrassing given the magneto has been 'rebuilt' twice in 7,500 miles.

My thanks go out to all of the organisers and their support crew. Next years NZ National Rally is being here in Pirongia. I can't wait.

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
I'm sorry I missed it as the time was too short to get the bikes from Tasmania back to mainland then over to Aukland. Brother Harvey had bought the return tickets thinking he was going back to participate in the London Marathon, but we were quite knackered as it was a 1,500 in ten days with three rest days to venture on our own, or do repairs , as I had difficulty starting we changed the oil filled mag for the spare then it was fine again.But next year there are plans afoot for five "A" twins to land on NZ soil, Peter Bender was the first to say he wanted to come then Neal Videan & Rodney Brown, also may be a Comet ridden by a blown away Ki Wi (A.J.) That should certainly boost Vincent bike numbers.

passenger0_0

Non-VOC Member
We missed you too Marcus but know there was good reasons for how it panned out. Sounds like your series A shares my series B magneto problems but more likely this occurs in many our two machines. I think I can speak for everyone in the New Zealand Section that we're all really looking forward to having these Series A machines present next year and also hosting so many international guests. There should also be an excellent local turnout of Vincents given the interest this will generate. The rolling county roads around Pirongia will make for excellent riding. Roll-on 2018. .......

david bowen

Non-VOC Member
Andrew and I were cruising a round the area, when a guy asked would we be interested in buying a 1954 Vincent,( he had owned for 35 years) deal was done the bike is in the hands of a Vincent owner in NZ so they are still out there

passenger0_0

Non-VOC Member
Hi David - would you mind passing on the engine and mating numbers to the relevant officials as this one might on be on the records?

passenger0_0

Non-VOC Member
Carefully lift up the left wing of the firefly with tweezers and using a magnifying glass . ......... :)

passenger0_0

Non-VOC Member
Next NZ National Rally being held on the 23 - 25th of March at the Waitomo Top 10 Holiday Park just out of Otorohanga.

A warm 27 C today and predicted to be warm for this summer so looks like the pool might get some use. Plenty of cabins available too.

Last edited:

greg brillus

VOC Member
Looks like the Vincent owners who are very "Young at Heart" seem to be well catered for, judging by this photo.....................;)