T: Fuel Tank New Vokes air filters

Bazlerker

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I recently acquired from the Spares Company a set of the Vokes air filters. As they screw directly onto the carbs there are no adaptors required, the air filter for the rear carb screwed directly onto the 276 carb without any issues. The front carb presented a small issue as the float bowl was fitted by the illustrious Mike White offset slightly to the rear of the machine in which position it now fowls the air filter, necessitating a relocation of the float bowl forward of the carb ( and the manufacture of a longer piece of fuel line).

I hope that the relocated float bowl doesn’t piss fuel in its new location, but I do wonder if 3/4” long adaptors couldn’t be offered for sale.

erik

VOC Member
The floatbowl should be mounted foreward of the carb because when you accelerate the petrol flows back to the carb making the mixture more rich.the other way it weakens the mixture when mostly needed power. Erik

kerry

VOC Member
I think these are the original filters as fitted by Vincent ?, not sure if that helps you though.

Attachments

• DSCF1081.JPG
    DSCF1081.JPG
    378.8 KB · Views: 36

Gene Nehring

VOC Member
I recently acquired from the Spares Company a set of the Vokes air filters. As they screw directly onto the carbs there are no adaptors required, the air filter for the rear carb screwed directly onto the 276 carb without any issues. The front carb presented a small issue as the float bowl was fitted by the illustrious Mike White offset slightly to the rear of the machine in which position it now fowls the air filter, necessitating a relocation of the float bowl forward of the carb ( and the manufacture of a longer piece of fuel line).

I hope that the relocated float bowl doesn’t piss fuel in its new location, but I do wonder if 3/4” long adaptors couldn’t be offered for sale.
From photos I have seen the originals had a bent stub on them that Vokes and Amal produced. Maybe try to hunt one down on ebay?
I think these are the original filters as fitted by Vincent ?, not sure if that helps you though.
Kerry,

It’s that old adage with Vincent’s that nothing is standard. I have seen at least three types of filters on photos and build sheets.

One bike sold new in Vancouver had Amal filters on it from new and the filters were listed on the build sheet.

I believe the front Volkes filters had a cast aluminium screw on bend that kicked the filter out. I have one somewhere that I’ll get a photo of.

Best.

Last edited by a moderator: