New Tyres for Old Egli (and Old Owner)

Howard

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Things have got very confusing in the tyre department since 1974 when I bought the Egli (Shadow 70), so any help would be much appreciated.

I've always been an Avon fan, and the back tyre is a fairly new AM21 Roadrunner 100/90 H18. The problem starts when I want a new front because, good as Alpha Tyres are, they don't have Egli Vincents in their books of recommended tyres.

The wheels are both WM3 18", and the man at Alpha seems to think 100/90 H18 would be better as a front tyre, but my AM21 is only suitable for the rear. He suggested AM20 (and I think AM26) 90/90 for the front, but thought both sounded too narrow. I have the feeling the main deciding factors are going to be the width between the Metal Profile fork legs and, on the back, the distance from the centre of the tyre to the chain.

Now then, If someone out there can answer that one, they should be able to help with tyre pressures. Old tyre pressures are obviously too low for modern tyres ( I don't think these bar/mm2 thingys are as strong as the good old PSI thingys) but is there a recommended pressure or is it anybody's guess?

Tnecniv Edipar

Non-VOC Member
I would suggest that you contact Avon direct , particularly with respect to tyre pressure. Thats all to do with load , deformation and contact patch and they will know how to advise on that.

Howard

VOC Member
I would suggest that you contact Avon direct , particularly with respect to tyre pressure. Thats all to do with load , deformation and contact patch and they will know how to advise on that.

That sounds like a good idea. I used to get my Comet's racing tyres direct from them, never thought of going to them for advice on road tyres.

Tnecniv Edipar

Non-VOC Member
Manufacturers are always my first port of call for tyre advice , it's been surprising how wrong some advice has been from tyre dealers in light of what the makers say !
I have contacted Avon in the past and they were more than helpful.

Howard

VOC Member
Manufacturers are always my first port of call for tyre advice , it's been surprising how wrong some advice has been from tyre dealers in light of what the makers say !
I have contacted Avon in the past and they were more than helpful.

OK we can close the thread. That was easy.

Found Avon on the internet, emailed tech dept, reply in 30 minutes. How did we cope without computers?

As you say, tyre dealers aren't best bet for info on anything out of the ordinary.

Just for the record, they recommended AM26 90/90 - 18 for the front to go with my 100/90 - 18 AM21 rear.
Pressures 30 psi front 32 psi rear - a far cry from the good old days.

Regards

Howard

Tnecniv Edipar

Non-VOC Member
Meant to say , tyre tech guy's seem to really enjoy their job and are almost always enthusiastic with help and advice.
Would have edited my previuos post to include this but not possible now.