New twin clutch problem.

John Jones

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi, I fitted a new clutch from the VOC spares co last year and have being having an intermitent problem.

At the manx last year, waiting at a junction for a few seconds with the bike in first, the clutch suddenly made a graunching noise, grabbed, with the handlebar lever fully in, and stalled the bike.

Back into neutral , start it up again and it runs perfectly.

I dismantled it and cleaned and checked everything and it all seemed OK.

Yesterday the same thing happened again, after a year.

Confusing? The guys at the spares co arevery helpful , but are not sure what it might be. Maybe the handlebar lever not pulling enough cable?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

John.

IMG_1587.jpg

IMG_2886.jpg

Bracker1

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Beautiful bike. Try to screw in adjusting bolt on kick start plate. It might give enough lift to keep plates from grabbing. If the plates are hot when it happens it may be a distorted disc. Also check the springs are the same strength., may have a weak spring. I had a similar problem with a V3 clutch and cured by changing from dry to wet. Don't know if the spares can also be done this way. Good Luck.

Albervin

VOC Member
Each year I take the plates out and give them a good clean with petrol. Then I soak the friction plates in ATF overnight. I then drain them for a few hours and re-fit. I have been doing this for about 6 years and am able to sit at lights with with clutch lever pulled in for a few minutes with no drama. The only thing this clutch does not like is very hard take offs; it does give off a graunching sound then but as soon as the clutch is fully home then no problems. I actually re-use the ATF each year because I am a tight a#se..

deejay499

VOC Member
Is it possible to run this clutch completely wet as I do with my Suzuki clutch. I had a similar problem when I only had a small amount of oil on it, but since running it wet, it has been brilliant. Good luck.

John Jones

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Thanks for the ideas.

Running the clutch fully wet would be difficult at the moment as the cover has venting holes. Could always get a new cover if I can't solve the problem.

Isn't this clutch supposed to run dry?

Mind you so are Ducatis, but they also frequently have similar issues.

I've bought the modified lever from the VOC spares co to give it a little more lift ,and will soak the plates in ATF.

Off to the Manx on 30th. I'll let you know how I get on.

van drenth

VOC Member
I did have the same problem, grabing clutch, for a few years and the result was that the drive shaft in the flywheel started to slip. Like said by albervin the plates have to be soaked in ATF every year.
Regards, van Drenth JC

koggg

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
John,
I think you must tell us if you are running an original clutch or not.
If you do you should not soak anuthing.
The problem you have could be in the push rod.
Do you know if it is a split one or a long one?
If it is split, do you have a roller or a ball between the rods?
Regards
Mats

Albervin

VOC Member
John,
I think you must tell us if you are running an original clutch or not.
If you do you should not soak anuthing.
The problem you have could be in the push rod.
Do you know if it is a split one or a long one?
If it is split, do you have a roller or a ball between the rods?
Regards
Mats
Look at the pictures Mats. It is a multiplate unit.:rolleyes:

Jim Richardson

VOC Member
I had the same problem with mine when fitted this year, i started by trying to run it dry, as it had a ventilated cover, I then filled the drilled holes with araldite ( leaving one to squirt oil into).
I also found that there was too much play between the clutch sprocket and hub, on the original this was taken up by shims, so i packed the sprocket forward with M6 washers ( until I do a proper job, you understand), clutch is now fine, I run it with about 3-4 squirts of oil from a can.

JimR