New twin clutch problem.

vincenttwin

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Mine did the same thing , I got Conways to do the arm mod they do , it lowers the pivot point by about 1/2 inch , so gives much more lift , works a charm now , does not get so hot and as a result does not grab or make strange noises .
peter allen

greg brillus

VOC Member
I have found with some of these clutches that the sliding fit of the friction plates in the outer alloy basket to be too snug, which i've found can cause the clutch not wanting to release as well as it should. The cure was to strip out all the plates and on all of the friction plates only...dress each ear on one side with a flat file with two to three strokes and no more on every friction plate. It sounds like it would take for ever but you can actually do it quite quickly once you get started. Do not go overboared as you don't want too much backlash between the plates and the outer basket otherwise it will rattle at low engine speed. This may help on a V3 that is run dry as it certainly helps on the wet ones....cheers...Greg.

John Jones

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I got to the Manx OK. The weather was fine . The racing good. The clutch feeling great.

My mates immaculate 57 Trophy packed up after 10 miles with what we can only imagine was a shorted condenser in the mag.

We then went to the museum in Kirkmichael, ( he's now riding pillion on a Honda) and on to Ramsey for the sprint.

As the bike gets hotter I can feel the clutch starting to go.

We pull up in a petrol station and the bike snicks into neutral perfectly, fillup and I start the bike, pull in the clutch lever and put the bike into first.

Immediately it grabs with a graunching noise, drags the bike forward and stalls.

Start the bike again and it feels fine!

This happens again the next day so for a simple solution I squirt half a can of 3 in 1 bicycle oil into a vent hole in the top of the cover, so it is pouring out the bottom.

Problem solved. The clutch works perfectly even trapped in Douglas rushour traffic during' closed roads'.

The solution appears to be a new clutch cover , drill and tap a filler and drain plug and run the clutch wet.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
You might be able to lean the bike over to the right, pour in some oil and replace the cover and not have to cut metal.

Albervin

VOC Member
You say you bought a mod to obtain extra lift. This may be enough to foul the clutch cover and so cause a lot of noise as well as limiting the amount of lift. Are there any marks on the inside of the cover to indicate this? I had to fit a slightly deeper cover to my "B" Rap to obtain clearance for the V3 clutch. I don't know if these covers are still available (they were all round without the flat on the base) so an extra gasket is the only other solution.

vibrac

VOC Member
Clever Trevor does one I got it a month or so ago
just a little deeper and it clears the clutch perfectly

Jim Richardson

VOC Member
Further to my earlier post, I was pursuaded by somebody to run the clutch dry and although it doesnt drag it now snatches without warning/ completely un predictable, so I will probably go back to wet.

Jim R

John Jones

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I have just taken the cover off and theres not a mark on the inside.

We did fit the increased lift lever from the VOC but found it required the gearbox cover to be drilled out and tapped as it is an early motor, 1948, and I didn't have the time before the Manx so put the original back in.

Maybe thats the next step.

However the plates were soaked in ATF for 24 hours and it didn't make any difference.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
We did fit the increased lift lever from the VOC but found it required the gearbox cover to be drilled out and tapped as it is an early motor, 1948, and I didn't have the time before the Manx so put the original back in.

Maybe thats the next step..

I have an early kick start cover on my '48 Rapide. I removed the standard clutch adjuster and fitted the ET27/2SS clutch adjuster without modification to the cover to give a little extra useful lift. The down side is having to remove the kick start cover first as the ET27/2SS can only be installed from inside. When you say "increased lift lever" are you talking about a different component to the ET27/2SS?