New Terry Prince billet frame

TouringGodet

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
At the 2013 North American Rally, Terry Prince unveiled his new billet frame design. He is building a couple of prototypes, and hopes to have production versions available next year.

No problem keeping the sludge out of the UFM.

PrinceUFM.jpg

PrinceRFM.jpg

bmetcalf

VOC Member
I assume Terry has made sure that the RFM won't hit the battery tray. This will put some bikes on the road, at less than EBay prices.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
The UFM oil return boss seems to be up front and there are two of them. If that is right, the standard position must not lend itself to the flow path the bulkheads provide for.

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
If I recall correctly, the two holes on the bottom, near the front, are for both the return and feed lines, an internal tube will take the return oil up to the top chamber.

davidd

VOC Member
Steve,

I believe you are recalling it correctly. It has been years since I saw the mechanical drawings, but the oil makes it way from the top headed back to the seat and down to the lower chambers where it heads back to the steering head. The RFM is two piece and they make the shock tower with the drop from the center of the lower swing arm. It is bolted from below. It is a lovely piece of work!

David

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
It just needs those two little Egli struts that connect the UFM + front fork monolith to the RFM + engine monolith in the true Egli frame and in all of the replicas I have seen to date. One strut is in tension, the other in compression when cornering. Without this little truss it is an aluminium D Vincent, fine as a roadbike, but it does have a bit of a hinge(as do all standard Vincents) where the head brackets hang off the UFM. Perhaps there is provision to add these struts or braces, I forgot to ask about it.
It was good to see Terry looking well and planning so many good bits. He told me he plans to make crankcases available next year. These will have a built in bendix type starter and crankshaft type alternator. More top end kits are also on the way.

It was also good to meet you Steve!
Glen

Last edited:

Ken Tidswell

VOC Member
Like the design of the eccentrics to alter the trail of the girdraulics this looks like a solution in search of a problem.
Stunning piece of CNC machining though, Ken

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Yes I think it looks super, But is it Strong enough, We had a good bloke in the Midlands who did an Alloy Headstock, I heard it broke in a crash, Not sure which came first ! Also the early Triumph Alloy frame had some problems. Cheers Bill.