T: Fuel Tank New Project

erik

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
With only a single seat,no pasenger and no luggage rack the rear springs seem a Little bit to hard . What can I do ? Erik

Attachments

• IMG_6493[1].JPG
    IMG_6493[1].JPG
    563.3 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_6475[1].JPG
    IMG_6475[1].JPG
    584 KB · Views: 36

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Morning Erik, Are all the pivots on the seat free ?.
The rear seat stays are very far back ?.
I now lube the rear seat lower , And Leave the knobs loose,
And loctite the alloy knobs so they don't fall off.
What rear damper do you use, I find the standard 1950 damper are the softest.
Cheers Bill.

Chris Launders

VOC Member
Hi Erik,
I would suggest it's the damper, not the springing.

While doing the testing for the set up for the modified steering stem springing /damping I found the Koni damper to be the hardest for small undulations/rough surfaces, to the extent it felt rigid compared to the others (standard, Armstrong, Thornton and AVO), while doing the testing I had a Koni on the back and found this was affecting the feedback I was getting from the front so swapped to an AVO on the back, by the way I weigh nearly 130kg so no lightweight.

But for real comfort I would suggest you changed to a fully sprung seat.

timetraveller

VOC Member
Erik, the Koni dampers had a reputation of being too stiff. Apparently they would get easier with use but that is hardly the characteristics of a good damper. It will depend upon how much use yours has had over the years but if it is an 'off the shelf' one then it might be almost new. Have you thought about trying one of the AVO coil over dampers for the rear? £200, but possibly plus import duty since Brexit. They have adjustable damping and spring loading. One of those in combination with fully springing the rear of the seat will transform the comfort at the rear. As a start you could just try fully springing the rear of the seat. That on its own might be good enough. If you want to keep the original appearance then there is a way of using the original rear friction dampers in conjunction with two small steel struts at each side that will pass most inspections.

Haha, Chris got in while I was typing.

greg brillus

VOC Member
Check the wire diameter of the springs should be 0.300" if they are more then they are sidecar springs and will be too stiff.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I use one comet and one twin spring on the back of my Comet,
What about tyre pressures, I don't like more that 26lb on the back,
I know we should use more, But not for me.

greg brillus

VOC Member
I didn't think the Comet ones were available anymore Bill..........Or do you have a secret stash of them hidden away down the back of your garden........Cheers........ Greg.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Even I don't know what I have , I thought I had used most of my stuff on the "D" Comet project,
But not so :D .
When I have gone I think most of it will wind up in the BIN, Shame !.