T: Fuel Tank New Project

erik

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
IMG_5975[1].JPG

erik

VOC Member
The wiring harness is with a fuse on the + terminal. Horn and taillight are connected to + in the headlamp.For safety reasons. Erik

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Eric, I have never used a fuse on a Vincent, Might be a good idea ?, What are you using 20 ?,
I am going to use a Walkernator, So maybe bigger ?.
Cheers Bill.

erik

VOC Member
The fuse I have in the battery dummi directly behind the + terminal.But you can fit the fuse to the - terminal as well directly behind the terminal,this makes no difference.

timetraveller

VOC Member
Bill, if you look at the pictures posted by Dave61 on the thread about fuel routing you will see that he has the latest 40 amp version. You have the thirty amp earlier version. The earlier system used an Iskra alternator with an external regulator while the later one uses a Nippon Denso with the regulator built in. If you look at Dave's pictures you can see the insulated terminal where the current exits the alternator and this leads directly to a 40 amp fuse to protect the whole of the system. The output from the fuse goes directly to the battery either via the ammeter, if one is used , or straight to the battery if one is using a volt meter. Either 30 amps or 40 amps is enough to cause a problem if there is a short somewhere and as a minimum I recommend putting a heavy duty automotive fuse as near to the output from the alternator as possible. I got the fuses from Automotive Products. It is also worth putting fuses in other circuits to protect other bits of the bike. Note that these 40 amp fuses are chunky bits of kit. Not the glass tube ones or push in spade terminals used in many cars.

erik

VOC Member
IT could be a Problem if you connect the horn and taillamp in the traditionel way because there is no fuse.This should be avoided,although.There are push in spade terminals which are bigger than the normal ones with up to 100 Amperes. In the engine bay of my landrover is a box with 4 of them.