T: Fuel Tank New Project

Pushrod Twin

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
This bike was put together from parts and the fork is from a Horex and the frontwheel is a Münch Mammut one.Unluckily the hub is cracked and is made from magnesium which can not be weldet I think.The UFM is the early type with no slot for the rear damper.
Interesting collection of bits! Do you think the tank modified for those forks? How was clearance between the forks & tank at full turn?
Unfortunate that the wheel is cracked. Magnesium can be welded successfully. I watched my father gas weld magnesium chainsaw bodies in the '70s. It is much more controllable with modern TIG welders.
That said, I would be reluctant to weld it. Machining the resultant distortion out of it can be difficult. I had an aluminium Grimeca hub welded once. I did machine it adequately to go back into service safely, but it wasnt really worth the effort. Magnesium distorts worse than aluminium, even without welding it. I have machined some shocking Mg aircraft castings, they just keep going back into service for another lap!

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I didn't have to bash my Tank in that much , When fitting Tele' forks, I just restricted the Steering Lock a bit.

erik

VOC Member
We can rule the chaos! There were no bearings fitted on the fork and steering was very very restricted so that i can say the tank shape was not made for this forks.and the Münch brake was not adapted to the forks.All different bits fitted not properly together.Erik

erik

VOC Member
IMG_5206.JPG