Misc: Everything Else New owner looking for advice

TSK68

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Firstly, hello, and thanks for allowing me into the Club.

I've been given the task of caretaking my Father's motorcycles as he's now been taken into a care home.

One of the bikes is a 1949 Series B in totally original condition. My Dad bought it from a friend over 20 years ago and he's been tinkering with it on and off ever since but has hardly ever ridden it.

It's been left in a slightly disassembled state. Nothing drastic but I want to be able to put it back together, run it, and assess where we go from there. I've no idea where he keeps his manuals - or even if he has one - so I'd be grateful of any advice as to which exact books/manuals with which I should arm myself before taking spanner in hand.

I'm no newcomer to motorcycles - far from it - but I'm not at all familiar with Vincents. My dear old Dad wouldn't ever let me near it!

Thanking you in advance. Looking forward to getting the Beast back on the road. It's been a while ...

Attachments

• 28BDA127-3DCE-420A-A03A-5FA6BB60A396.jpeg
    28BDA127-3DCE-420A-A03A-5FA6BB60A396.jpeg
    311.8 KB · Views: 148

b'knighted

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi Tim,

Welcome,

Our normal advice would be to visit your local section meeting and get acquainted with some of us who’ve probably experienced some of the problems you will find.

As that is not an option at the moment using the forum is going to be the best Bet.

Every question you ask will get you several opposing opinions.

Firstly about the publications you need.

The parts list RP/9 is invaluable as it has exploded views of most parts of the bike.

The Vincent by Paul Richardson, RP/12 commonly just referred to as Richardson is excellent and Incorporates most of the riders handbook.

These two should cover most of your immediate needs and are available from the spares company much more economically than buying second hand on eBay.

Check for personal messages which show top right, just below the forum header.

TSK68

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Thanks for the response. The first thing I did was to take a look at the Publications page of the clubshop prior to my initial post. I was after a steer as to which exact books to buy, given the situation I find myself in. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

stumpy lord

Non-VOC Member
Thanks for the response. The first thing I did was to take a look at the Publications page of the clubshop prior to my initial post. I was after a steer as to which exact books to buy, given the situation I find myself in. Thanks for taking the time to respond.
Hi Tim,
KNOW THY BEAST written by E.M.G. Stevens ,and published by the club, well worth its weight in gold. also the ridders hand book.
If you have trouble acquiring a copy of Know thy beast I could probably find you an old copy of it for you.
stumpy lord

timetraveller

VOC Member
Tim. if the photograph is of the bike as it is now you have an almost completely assembled Vin. Fuel tank and seat are relatively straight forwards although the fuel tank can be a pig and patience might be required. If there are sparks then it looks as though you do not have to learn too much to proceed.

A_HRD

VOC Member
Tim,
I agree with tt above.
However, unless it's a trick of the light/camera there appears to be something strange about the main Brampton fork spring - it looks like there may be 2 of them???! Any chance of a photo of that area to put my mind at rest?
Peter B
Bristol, UK.

TSK68

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi Tim,
KNOW THY BEAST written by E.M.G. Stevens ,and published by the club, well worth its weight in gold. also the ridders hand book.
If you have trouble acquiring a copy of Know thy beast I could probably find you an old copy of it for you.
stumpy lord

Hello

Thanks for the response.

I believe my Dad has a copy of KTB somewhere knocking about. I'll make it my mission to dig it out!

Thanks for your kind offer. I'll be back to you if I can't find it! :)

Tim

TSK68

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Tim,
I agree with tt above.
However, unless it's a trick of the light/camera there appears to be something strange about the main Brampton fork spring - it looks like there may be 2 of them???! Any chance of a photo of that area to put my mind at rest?
Peter B
Bristol, UK.
Hi Peter

I have no ida about the fork spring but will endeavour to find out next time I'm over at their place. Sadly that will be after this whole COVID thing has blown over. I'll be sure to take plenty of pics

Kindest regards

tim

TSK68

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
FYI These are the only other shots I have.

Tim

Attachments

• 34DD3BD1-5824-4BAA-9FF5-17A9284DA278_1_201_a.jpeg
    34DD3BD1-5824-4BAA-9FF5-17A9284DA278_1_201_a.jpeg
    301.5 KB · Views: 71
  • Screenshot 2020-05-02 at 15.55.33.png
    Screenshot 2020-05-02 at 15.55.33.png
    332.7 KB · Views: 69