E: Engine New oil leak after fitting Alton

oexing

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
There should not be a significant amount of oil going into the gearbox through my drilling when the engine does not breath into the primary with a decent seal on the crank. With a reed breather somewhere on the engine there should be a net depression in the crank case so only air from heat expansion in the primary needs some venting. Anyway , I´d rather have "all that oil" going into the gearbox than all over the engine from the dynamo leak .
To be open, there will be another year or so of restauration work for me to find out what way the oil will go. A non-functioning crank seal may throw out oil via the dynamo - but same flaw on the crank may suck primary oil into the crank case when you have a net depression in there from an effective engine breather. So whatever happens at the dynamo "breathing spot" or my drilling into the gearbox filler depends on some other factors - more things to think about . . . . .

Vic

danno

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Venting the primary via the dynamo does not appear to be an overly brilliant idea. So maybe you´d like to do as I did by drilling into the gearbox filler neck to use that existing vent ? That should hopefully keep oil inside .

Vic
View attachment 28935

View attachment 28936

Have just noticed that there’s five small holes in the the gearbox filler cap.

Attachments

• C4CAA53D-6A2A-416E-A62D-E8D9FB2FB9A2.jpeg
    C4CAA53D-6A2A-416E-A62D-E8D9FB2FB9A2.jpeg
    285.6 KB · Views: 35