New Member G'day and question

Vic Youel

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Unfortunately, once you put absolutely ANYTHING on the internet, with whatever passwords and precautions you like, you can pretty much say it's then in the public domain and would then be available to non-Members and Members alike.

If the likes of Microsoft, the big film companies and music labels can't stop their stuff being pirated, what chance do we stand with our little magazine that goes out to just a couple of thousand people?

The only way to stop it being pirated is to not to produce an electronic version in the first place.

This is also one of the reasons why our Machine Researcher and Registrar are completely against any of the Works records being made available in an electronic format. They're too easy to copy and open to abuse by anyone who stands as a Club official for dubious reasons.

Similarly, our Technical Committee are not allowed to hold copies of drawings (except for evaluation purposes). The only people who have full sets of drawings are The Drawings Manager (I think) and The Spares Company. Electronic versions of the drawings are held by an undisclosed Member (not me before you break into my house to try to steal them!).

Hopefully there are secondary masters (and electronic copies where applicable) of both VOC drawings and works records held in separate physical locations? Likewise for electronic copies of MPH held for the future.

Albervin

VOC Member
Ken, you were asking about the Indian Vincent.

Attachments

• DSC00049.jpg
    DSC00049.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 36
  • Indian Vincent.jpg
    Indian Vincent.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 44

Baytown

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
G'day Alyn.
Thanks for the photos. The Vindian I understand, but the Indianised Rapide (just looks like a tank decal and running light) I don't get! Has it something else to do with Indian other than a sticker and a light on the mud guard?
I know the boys in the picture from the Indian scene.

Best wishes mate.

Ken

ET43

Non-VOC Member
Ken, I may be wrong, but I have a sneaky feeling that the Iandianised Rapide was a model brought out by Floyd Clymer when he owned Indian for a short while. Cheers, Phil Primmer, aka ET43.

Baytown

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
G'Day Phil.
That may be correct as Brockhouse (the British group that took over the Indian Sales side of things in 1949 from the factory) was also able to import Vincent's under the Indian name. I've not been able to find any photos of Indian badged Vincent's in my extensive Indian library though.
I'm sure this is the case, and also explains the red colour as US Import.

Best wishes mate.

Got to go feed my baby Wallaby (really!)

Albervin

VOC Member
Ken, I may be wrong, but I have a sneaky feeling that the Iandianised Rapide was a model brought out by Floyd Clymer when he owned Indian for a short while. Cheers, Phil Primmer, aka ET43.
Phil, it is my understanding the Indian Vincent was built under the direction of Vincents. The gear change & brake lever were swapped over and a delco generator was fitted (?). This was done in 1949 and I think Indian was by then terminal.
Irving removed all the Indian bits, attached a sidecar & brought it back to Australia with him in late 1949. It is my understanding that the present Indian Vincent has the same engine as the original (maybe the same frame as well?).

Hugo Myatt

VOC Member
Ken, check out, if you can, Motorcycle Sport Quarterly (US) 1969 & Summer 1970 ,Petersen Publishing Co. 8490 Sunset Blvd. Los Angeles, Calif.90069. SBN 8227. Two long articles by Phillip Vincent covering the Vincent Indian Chief and the Indian-Vincent with photos of both. 'The Indian That Might Have Been.' & 'Let 'Em Know.' Incidentally the Indian-Vincent had brake and gear pedal swapped sides and a fully sprung chrome headlamp.

ET43

Non-VOC Member
Allbervin is correct of course, and it is my poor English that caused his response. I had some correspondence with Floyd Cylmer in the late sixties wherein he mentioned that the altered Vincent was offered to him but that it was an offer too late. The articles that Hugo mentioned are quite descriptive. Someone must have a copy of these articles for Ken to satisfy his curiosity.
All The Best, ET43

Baytown

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
G'day Hugo and ET.
Thanks for the info on these two factory collaborations. I am quite interested in reading up on the Indian badged Vincent imports. I know a bit about the Vindian, and have seen the reproduction bikes in person , one (Peter Arundel's) while it was being built in Melbourne. Beautiful machines and highly regarded for being able to breath new life into the Indian Chief frame.
Hugo, I'll start on a quest to see if I can find that publication!
Good on you fellas, and best wishes.

Ken