New Member G'day and question

Baytown

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
G'day from Ken in Nth Queensland, Australia.
I've just joined the club after developing my interest in Vincent HRD machines. I currently own a 1922 Indian Powerplus and a 1947 Indian Chief. I had a fella from Cairns (Nth QLD) display his Rapide beside my Chief recently at a bike show in Kuranda, and it really won me over. Beautiful bike and nice bloke. Vincent is the only Marque that I would consider beside Indian, and I do plan to purchase as soon as a few house sales go through (just need to sneak it past my wife!)
Anyway, trying to find my way around the web site. Can any one advise if back copies of the Club magazine are available, or better still, available on line for members to view?
Thanks in advance, and I look forward to gaining a better understanding of the machines via this club.

Ken.

Baytown

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Interesting where is says non member.[FONT=&quot]
Must take a while to pass through the system.

[/FONT]

Last edited:

Pete Appleton

VOC Hon. Editor
Staff member
VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator

Ken
You are listed on the club database as a full member but upgrading you on the forum is done manually by Graham. He has several jobs in the club as well as one in real life and I know that he is snowed under at the moment. I am sure that he will get to you soon.

MPH back issues are not avilable from the club but they do come up for sale in the floggers corner section of mph from time to time.

There is a wealth of Vincent knowledge stored on the club website http://www.voc.uk.com Just log in under the 'members' heading and once you are logged in go to articles.

Your membership number is used for several administrative functions in the club and shouldn't be divulged. I suggest that you go back to your post and edit it out.

Peter

Baytown

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi Peter.
Thanks for the reply, and advice re editing my club number. I'm with the Antique Motorcycle Club of America as well (similar on line group) and was just wondering if the VOC is set up similar re on line library, back issues etc.
Best wishes mate.

Ken

Albervin

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Ken, the only way to obtain back issues of MPH is by begging, borrowing, buying or swapping. However you can obtain all the really useful bits by buying "Forty Years On" and "Another Ten Years" . There are plenty of people out there to help, there are even some in NQ & FNQ.

Baytown

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
G'day Albervin (jeez I wish I knew people's first names!)
Thanks for the info, and I did see those two publications advertised, so will look into them.
What a shame the club doesn't host the back issues for sale , available for viewing by paid members in the Members area, or better still, on CD to purchase! It would have to be a money maker and without harking back to the AMCA, they do it so must be a profit involved. Oh well.
Re Vincent purchase, I've just seen a machine in NSW for sale via Just Bikes, and Shannons have one for auction next month in Melbourne. Bugger not having the house sale go through at this point as I'm rationalising the garage. Just sold my 2004 BMW K1200RS, have the Powerplus up for sale, and have advised the wife of the interest in a Vincent (which went down well I must admit!).
I've even discussed a Vindian with Jim Parker in Melbourne. Has there been any discussion on this list re Vindian factory experiments
at all?
Re people in Nth QLD to assist, I was a member of the Restored Motorcycle Club of Townsville, but it wasn't very beneficial re Indian ownership, you needed British or Japanese bikes as far as knowledge and support went. A really nice group of people on the whole though. There was a fella with a Black Shadow who I wish I had spent more time talking with. I may have to revisit either Townsville or Cairns clubs in the near future.
Best wishes mate.

Ken.

Last edited:

Albervin

VOC Member
MPH on CD. That is so 21st century! I suggest you email a letter to MPH about that because it is a bloody good idea. Similar to 40 years only a set of CDs covering 10 year periods, but not just articles, everything from cover to cover. An alternative is reprints. This was done some years ago with
the very first issues but now even those reprints are rare. The CDs would be far more cost effective BUT it is nice to have the hard copies.

John Cone

VOC Member
Perhaps once the months MPH has been sent out, there coud be a way of purchasing it as a downloadable file: PDF or something similar, to be saved and burnt to disc. For members only of course.

Last edited:
G

Graham Smith

Unfortunately, once you put absolutely ANYTHING on the internet, with whatever passwords and precautions you like, you can pretty much say it's then in the public domain and would then be available to non-Members and Members alike.

If the likes of Microsoft, the big film companies and music labels can't stop their stuff being pirated, what chance do we stand with our little magazine that goes out to just a couple of thousand people?

The only way to stop it being pirated is to not to produce an electronic version in the first place.

This is also one of the reasons why our Machine Researcher and Registrar are completely against any of the Works records being made available in an electronic format. They're too easy to copy and open to abuse by anyone who stands as a Club official for dubious reasons.

Similarly, our Technical Committee are not allowed to hold copies of drawings (except for evaluation purposes). The only people who have full sets of drawings are The Drawings Manager (I think) and The Spares Company. Electronic versions of the drawings are held by an undisclosed Member (not me before you break into my house to try to steal them!).

Last edited by a moderator:

Baytown

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Electronic Access to Club Magazines for Members

Hi Graham and John.
Thanks for the replies and information on the Clubs stance on access to MPH.
Graham, I understand where you are coming from ref piracy of club information etc relevant to the magazine. It's unfortunate that's the case though, as it would be a great resource to paid up members (and a draw card to increase paid membership) to be able to access the magazine (back issues) via the Members Only area.
Of course, some one would have to digitise them all which is a huge job.
We've just gone through this with the AMCA on line library (manuals, brochures, advertising etc) which is available to members as a resource and enticement, and after some teething issues, it's a well patronised club facility. All back issues from recent to issue #1 are available on CD for a price, and are an invaluable asset to owner restorers or just general reading of over 50 years worth of club magazines.
I hope this thread isn't seen as muck raking by me (a brand new member who knows next to nothing of the Marque) as opposed to constructive suggestion and feedback which is my intent.
Anyway, thanks again fellas, and best wishes from a pretty wet Balgal Beach (wet season in the tropics!)

Ken