new Magneto Capacitor fits under point

Ken Tidswell

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
new Magneto Capacitor fits under points block

http://brightsparkmagnetos.com/products/index.htm
If you follow this link you will find a new way of rejuvenating your mag if the capacitor is on holiday , and the rest of the windings are in good condition. It should go on the list of useful links for visitors to our site (hint), It is a wonderful example of modern micro elctronic components Ken

Last edited by a moderator:

Black Flash

VOC Member
if I had a spare magneto lying around I do not need at the moment I would give it a go. sounds like a nice project for a few long winter evenings and if the mag works again afterwards - great. if not staying at home while doing the conversation and not going to the pub easily saved the costs for the kit.

bernd

Sebastian Huber

VOC Member
Hello Ken, hello Alan J,

sounds good.
What does A.J.S. guys say about it?
Does someone already have experience on Vin?
Think I have to remove/renew capacitor on my mag. Winding is new (one season). Mag works great for some month but now problems rises by missing sparkfire on Cyl 2.

Sebastian

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hello Sebastian, Have you tried changing the Brush Holder, There was some bad ones sold some years ago, Cheers Bill.

Sebastian Huber

VOC Member
Hello Bill,

thanks for this info, will check it.
Mine are not new, just cleaned. Do reconditioning - on my mags - for 20 years myself. This is the first where problems recured. Both sparks worked unsufficient but cyl. 2 failed when throttle was closed for a moment. Though first of an oil problem but can`t fix it this way. Had to change sparks two grades lower as usual on last trip to friends in BRNO, CZ, in October `11.

Sebastian

Ken Targett

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi Sebastian,

Before saying anything else, I should declare a commercial interest in the Brightspark EasyCap ... I'm one of the two guys behind the project.

In reply to your first question, Sebastian, the thread on the AJS Matchless forum is here:
www.ajs-matchless.com/topic.asp?TOP...placing+Condensers&Forum_Title=General+Topics
I think you'll be able to see it, but if not you can join their forum without, as far as I recall, being a member of that esteemed club.

Regarding your second question, my Rapide's KVF magneto was good as was. I have put an EasyCap on it, and it is still good.

We've been testing these condensers over many many months, on bikes covering many thousands of miles, and on our test rig for many hundreds of hours. We've abused the test rig magneto something rotten. We've blown a bobbin, wrecked slip rings and frazzled the oscilloscope's HT probe circuitry several times due to the voltages that we've let the HT and LT get up to, but we haven't had an EasyCap waver from its spec yet.

But the real beauty of the thing (for you and us) is that you can treat it like a routine service item. Replace the condenser after a couple of years, in a couple of minutes, for a few quid (dollars) and you're back to brand new. Seemples.

If you'd like to send me a private message with your postal address, Sebastian, I'll happily send you a sample gratis. (Sorry the rest of you ... no more than one freebie per forum per month). It seems from your later post that you are perfectly happy pulling magnetos apart and putting them back together again, but if in any doubt please do look at our website to see what's involved in removing the old condenser.
www.brightsparkmagnetos.com.

Ken Targett.

Hello Ken, hello Alan J,

sounds good.
What does A.J.S. guys say about it?
Does someone already have experience on Vin?
Think I have to remove/renew capacitor on my mag. Winding is new (one season). Mag works great for some month but now problems rises by missing sparkfire on Cyl 2.

Sebastian

Sebastian Huber

VOC Member
Hi Ken,

thanks a lot for info and offer. Will come back soon.
Had mailed this week with a friend living near Colone, one of the few real experts we have here in Germany. He had already used EasyCap without any trouble and gave me his best recommendation.

Sebastian

Alan J

VOC Member
Sorry, Sebastian, I've been away in "sunny Tenerife"but you have some answers! The only problem I see is stripping out the old condenser.