H: Hubs, Wheels and Tyres New hubs

MikeC

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi, Building wheels for my C, with new cast hubs, new SS spoke flanges with new bolts. The bolts go through each item with a slide fit and no slop. When the flange is on the hub the hole match is so close but not quite there. I can get one bolt in but no more without forcing. Do I run a 5/16" drill through each hole when they are assembled and clamped? Suggestions please. Thanks

Vincent Brake

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Well Mike,
What can i say.
You really have to have a close look how each item fits. Also the drum.
And toggle the 5 holes about.
And with 2 each 8 mm pin two flats of 3 mm wide test the fit.

Look out for radius s interfering....

And then settle for best / most good aligning holes.
And do the rest with a hand reamer.
As this is tapered.
Assuring the most less material take off

Look out for not parralell flats on the spoke flange. Causing wobble on drum...

Etc.
Etc.

It al begins with carefull observations.
Difficult now and then.

And last not least do grind a relief for the bearing cups.

For your successor in custody may do some there again..

We are only momentarily keepers

vibrac

VOC Member
5/16" not 8mm! oh the shame :D
some cast hubs are not as accurate as the CNC ones machined from solid

Vincent Brake

VOC Member
Btw. At Vic;
I have that aliexpress ESX spindle running. With watercooling.
24000 rpm x 1.5 Kw.
2*7004C and 2*7003C
Angulair contact bearings.

Good n strong emough for that 100 mm grindingwheel doing 0.5 mm a go.....

Thanx for paving a path there

And before a moderater feels to grab in;
On topic again.

Now whats 1/2 x 5/16???
Here most schoolboiis are lost.

Nice

oexing

VOC Member
1/2 x 5/16 ?? My idea was a shortish imperial screw or so. Actually maths was my worst point at school - so I started mechanical engineering at Technical University in Munich - - - and realized after one session that this was nooo way for me to see any light . So I decided: Keep the family´s reputation allright, no student in the family ! Toolmaker was what interested me a lot more and was most useful for vintage motorbike activities.
Now tonight after some pondering about dealing with fractions - inhabitants of certain important islands should really be more fluent with handling these - I was pretty sure one had to multiply all numbers above for top, and multiply all numbers below for bottom position. Seems Norman got same idea and I did NOT look up any books , honestly. But then, what´s the rule in case of division, multiply crosswise the numbers ? Who knows without looking ??

Vic

Sorry, Mike, your problem is quite common really when inspected closely. A reamer is great for rectifying bores. But you cannot expect to achieve zero play in all bores. So for fighting wear in use I´d put some MILD Loctite on bolts and threads so it will fill any small gaps perfectly and all loads will be spread on all bolts evenly for a durable assembly - and no nuts will come loose.

Shane998

Non-VOC Member
Hi, Building wheels for my C, with new cast hubs, new SS spoke flanges with new bolts. The bolts go through each item with a slide fit and no slop. When the flange is on the hub the hole match is so close but not quite there. I can get one bolt in but no more without forcing. Do I run a 5/16" drill through each hole when they are assembled and clamped? Suggestions please. Thanks
I had same problem when I assembled vincent wheels first time Bolts seem ok in one component but not when hub flange and drum together. So I took it all to long time vincent owner For advice Reamed all components separately then held them together and reamed one hole put bolt in best as it would then bang with hammer and block of wood. Just do one hole at a time some easy some a bit tighter Worked perfectly and back hub was 10 hole I’ll be doing the same to another set of wheels next month Happy days

MikeC

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Well Mike,
What can i say.
You really have to have a close look how each item fits. Also the drum.
And toggle the 5 holes about.
And with 2 each 8 mm pin two flats of 3 mm wide test the fit.

Look out for radius s interfering....

And then settle for best / most good aligning holes.
And do the rest with a hand reamer.
As this is tapered.
Assuring the most less material take off

Look out for not parralell flats on the spoke flange. Causing wobble on drum...

Etc.
Etc.

It al begins with carefull observations.
Difficult now and then.

And last not least do grind a relief for the bearing cups.

For your successor in custody may do some there again..

We are only momentarily keepers
Thanks - Yes, I have found the best/closest fit for each side (two hubs/four flanges). Components seem good quality. I'll work through it as you and Shane suggested.
I had same problem when I assembled vincent wheels first time Bolts seem ok in one component but not when hub flange and drum together. So I took it all to long time vincent owner For advice Reamed all components separately then held them together and reamed one hole put bolt in best as it would then bang with hammer and block of wood. Just do one hole at a time some easy some a bit tighter Worked perfectly and back hub was 10 hole I’ll be doing the same to another set of wheels next month Happy days
Cheers Shane, appreciate the comment.