New Engine design and configuration

vince998

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hello Everyone,

I am trying to build a new 50 degree v-twin engine using as many custom Royal Enfield Parts as possible, but basing the design on the Series "A" Rapide (I am aware of the fact that the Seriies a was less than 50 degrees), to be honest the only reason is that I cannot hope to buy one, which means that I will get the following off the shelf of any Royal Enfield Dealre in India

- Cylinders
- Pistons
- Heads
- Carburators (Preferably will try to source a Kehin 28mm for wach cylinder)
- Hydraulic tappits
- etc....

The problem I am facing is with the timing chest .. I can re-design the entire engine case and will keep the oiling lines outside the casing on purpose to further the vintage look but have no idea on what the timing gear ratios are .. plus to add to that in a standard RE the pushrods are parallel to each other versus them being alligned in a "V" formation which actually increases the problem .. I will try to mill out the head and the bore to accomodate the "V" design .. to decrease friction and increase performance however still need help in term of the calculations for the gears for the timing chest .. can anyone help - (FYI .. the bore and stroke are the same for the RE and the Rapide)

Hello Mr Brahmi. Greetings to India.

The ratios for the timing chest on a 4 stroke engine are relatively simple.

The Cams (and ignition) have to travel at 1/2 crank speed.
whatever pinion (number of teeth) you use on your crank mainshaft, the cam pinions (and ignition)have to be twice the size to travel at half the speed. (try to use even numbers as this keeps things simple)

If you can drive cam and ignition off the mainshaft pinion, all well and good. If this doesn´t fit in with your design, then you will have to use a so called idler pinion. It does not matter what size this is as the ratio is calculated from drive to driven gear. Your single idler is in between so will not influence the ratio.

Hope this helps.

shiv.brahmi

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hello Mr Brahmi. Greetings to India.

The ratios for the timing chest on a 4 stroke engine are relatively simple.

The Cams (and ignition) have to travel at 1/2 crank speed.
whatever pinion (number of teeth) you use on your crank mainshaft, the cam pinions (and ignition)have to be twice the size to travel at half the speed. (try to use even numbers as this keeps things simple)

If you can drive cam and ignition off the mainshaft pinion, all well and good. If this doesn´t fit in with your design, then you will have to use a so called idler pinion. It does not matter what size this is as the ratio is calculated from drive to driven gear. Your single idler is in between so will not influence the ratio.

Hope this helps.

Hello Vince998, Greetings and fair tidings to Germany as well ..

Thank you ever so much for pointing me in the right direction, I've been having sleepless nights over this and now I understand why this information is not to be found anywhere .. probably on account of the fact that it is oh!! so plain a piece of information .. I feel so dumb right now .. but this will be something that I shall never forget .. again Sir appreciate your help .. I am going to begin my CAD drawings .. and will be sharing them if anyone is interested.

Warm Regards,

Shiv

timetraveller

VOC Member
Hi Shiv. I am not familiar with the inner working of an Enfield timing cover, cam and follower layout etc. However I do use ACAD so if you are prepared to email me either .dxf or .dwg files I should be able to read them and make some comments. I normally work in 3D but if all you have is 2D stuff then I should be able to see enough from that to be able to comment as to which way it might be useful for you to go. Contact me on enw07@btinternet.com

shiv.brahmi

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hello Timetraveller,

Appreciate this offer, the RE factory once it had shifted to Madras (now Chennai) india had lost the blueprints of the RE 350 and other models long before my tim eand as far as I know there are no existing blueprints or cad drawings of the engine, I am however in the process of drawing these in 2D soon once I have finished .. I will share these with you ..

Appreciate your help .. will keep you posted on the developments ..

Warm Regards,

Shiv

shiv.brahmi

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I have posted a copy of the first timing gear layout that I plan for this engine.. all critique is welcome .. please have a look and advise .. Thanks again everyone

Regards,

Shiv

shiv.brahmi

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Timing Gear V 0.01

Sorry guys had trouble with the attachment ..

Attachments

• Timing_gear_layo&#117.jpg
    Timing_gear_layo&#117.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 52

shiv.brahmi

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hello everyone,

Please help me with this .. I reasize I might be over ambitious with no technical skills and near 0 resources, but request you all for advise. Please help.

Warm Regards,

Shiv

shiv.brahmi

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hello Clevtrev,

That is correct, however .. Timetraveller did just suggest a few changes .. and I will be changing the design accordingly .. and posting it here soon .. (the oil pump is a geared mechanical .. blue gear and the ones between the cams is the magneto and driver for the advance retard function .. in the picture above) ..

Regards,

Shiv

Howard

VOC Member
Hello Vince998, Greetings and fair tidings to Germany as well ..

Thank you ever so much for pointing me in the right direction, I've been having sleepless nights over this and now I understand why this information is not to be found anywhere .. probably on account of the fact that it is oh!! so plain a piece of information .. I feel so dumb right now .. but this will be something that I shall never forget .. again Sir appreciate your help .. I am going to begin my CAD drawings .. and will be sharing them if anyone is interested.

Warm Regards,

Shiv

Shiv,

Please don't take offence at this. I admire your enthusiasm, but I think you are currently heading down the road to despair. IF you ever build an engine (with your current knowledge) and IF it runs, there's a 99.9% chance it will be underpowered, rough running and unreliable, and you will have spent hours (probably years) of your life on a project you are not happy with.
Throw your plans in the bin, and if you must build an engine (and I would love to build one) start by learning about how they work, take some engineering lessons, etc - you haven't even started on the joys of metalurgy yet.
Turn your enthusiasm to learning how to make an engine, before you start cutting metal!

Like Sid, I'm a qualified Engineer with 40 years design experience, I have often considered building my own engine using parts from other engines, but while I think I would have a better chance of building a runner, I'm not sure the time and money would be well spent.

Regards

Howard

ps I know it's not a real Vincent, but why not start with a small 2 stroke engine - NSU/Vincent Quickly?
icon7.gif