New Engine design and configuration

shiv.brahmi

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Shiv,

Please don't take offence at this. I admire your enthusiasm, but I think you are currently heading down the road to despair. IF you ever build an engine (with your current knowledge) and IF it runs, there's a 99.9% chance it will be underpowered, rough running and unreliable, and you will have spent hours (probably years) of your life on a project you are not happy with.
Throw your plans in the bin, and if you must build an engine (and I would love to build one) start by learning about how they work, take some engineering lessons, etc - you haven't even started on the joys of metalurgy yet.
Turn your enthusiasm to learning how to make an engine, before you start cutting metal!

Like Sid, I'm a qualified Engineer with 40 years design experience, I have often considered building my own engine using parts from other engines, but while I think I would have a better chance of building a runner, I'm not sure the time and money would be well spent.

Regards

Howard

ps I know it's not a real Vincent, but why not start with a small 2 stroke engine - NSU/Vincent Quickly?
icon7.gif

Hello Howard,

Thank you. And I appreciate the straight forward reply. I understand that I am getting into this without any prior experience what so ever and I have learnt a bunch ever since I started with this Idea. I know that you are trying to help me realize that a little knowledge is a dangerous thing especially in a world where something you have created might just blow up between your legs :) .. but I also believe that with the help of a few enthusiasts like your self and the knowledge you guys bear .. I will end up with something if not anything .. "nothing venture nothing gained" .. please dont get me wrong I appreciate your advice .. i'll just be that I will now have to take things slower.

Best,

Shiv

Howard

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Thanks to whoever changed me back to Member status, personal problems meant I missed the renewal deadline date, so I'm a new member again.

Regards

Howard

Shiv

When you get to the frame design, make sure the petrol tank is armoured.

H

vince998

VOC Member
Shiv

Or build it with the cylinder heads at the bottom of the engine. You´ve got the advantage of water cooling when you ride through puddles;-)

Howard

VOC Member
Shiv

Or build it with the cylinder heads at the bottom of the engine. You´ve got the advantage of water cooling when you ride through puddles;-)

I like your thinking, that way the oil return could be in a valve cap, stopping oil starvation of the valve gear, and quitening all the rattly bits.

H