New boy needs info please?

shakari

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi Guys,

I'm new here so before I start asking questions, I'd better introduce myself. I'm Steve aka Shakari, I'm an ex pat Brit living in the bikers paradise of sunny South Africa, I run a couple of websites and have a passion for classic bikes and cars.

Sooooo can any kind soul out there tell me how the engine and frame numbering system on Black Shadows works please? Should I expect the numbers to match exactly on a factory built bike or do they differ?

Thanks in advance

shakari

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I looked at that and the 1900 rule doesn't work, but it says on the site that there were exceptions and I was hoping someone could shed some light on that.

On the machine I'm looking at, the engine number is F 10 AB/1/9197 and frame is RG8564 B. It was exported from the UK to Europe in 1951 and I wondered if the exceptions to the 1900 rule were export models?

I'm also aware it could by a 'build'

Hope someone can help.

G

Graham Smith

There are only two people who can tell you what your engine number and frame number were when they left the factory and they are as follows:

1. Vince Farrell - the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club Machine Researcher.
2. Gordon Powell - the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club Machine Registrar.

Only these two Club Officials have access to the original Works records.

Vince is a regular contributor to this forum, and I'm sure he will contact you in the next couple of days.

However, it's most unlikely that either of them will tell you what the frame number of your machine was when it left the factory — if what you have is incorrect. This is to stop unscrupulous people re-stamping engine and frame parts. Yes, it does happen!