• Welcome to the forum website of the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club.

Should you have any questions relating to the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club, or Vincent H.R.D. motorcycles in general, please contact Graham Smith, Online Forum Webmaster by calling 07977 001 025 or please CLICK HERE.

You are unrecognised, and therefore, only have VERY restricted access to the many features of this forum website.

If you have previously registered to use this forum website, you should log in now. CLICK HERE.

If you have never registered to use this forum website before, please CLICK HERE.

New Black Shadow

kurtflys

Well Known and Active Forum Website User
Non-VOC Member
53 Vincent Steve Jerkowski 006.jpgWell I think I found a 1953 BS that is almost original. The tank has been painted. It has a Ducati points coil conversion. Incorrect Amels, and the brake switch is not original. Other that this it's pretty much as issued. There has only been two owners , I am the third. May need brake pads on the front . My question is "should I leave this bike as is, or try to find the correct parts to bring back to factory issue. It starts great and rides fine right now. Was there anything that is specific to the 1953?
kurt
53 Vincent Steve Jerkowski 007.jpg

Last edited:

kurtflys

Non-VOC Member
Did all Vincents have the black/red strip on the rims? Where the rims standard British rims or were they marked in some way?

Dinny

VOC Member
Have a look on the web , lots of useful info and join the club.

Rims would have been Stamped Dunlop and made in England, some in about 51 we fully black but I think generally yes they had black centers with red stripes.

Its up to you, if you want to have it original you can find the parts or leave it as it is, think what you want it to be.

Good Luck

Mark

kurtflys

Non-VOC Member
Thanks Mark
The problem with the web is that all the bikes seem to be restored, and this one has not been apart. This bike also sat for a number of years and I can understand that the wheels can rust and cause a guy to have them replaced, but perhaps not with original rims.
Kurt

Albervin

VOC Member
Kurt, if the tyres are more than 10 years old then replace them now. Ride it, enjoy it, polish it, tinker with it and above all ride it (I know I have already said that). Get the books that have all the info, available from the VOC Spares Company. There will be plenty of advice from others but in the end it is your bike to do with as you please.

A_HRD

VOC Member
Congratulations on your exciting new acquisition! As a starter regarding originality, why not post some more photos and you will be sure to get a run-down on any other parts that deviate from std. I can't think of anything significantly different to the 1953 model, 50 to 53 were pretty much the same on the face of it. There are quite a few VOC members in Texas, you would do well to make contact with them for a chat...

What makes you think you need new linings on the brake shoes? It could be they just need cleaning and the cables adjusted correctly and in the right sequence.

Enjoy!

Peter B
Bristol, UK.

kurtflys

Non-VOC Member
I did join the Lone Star group, but it is summer here and that means temps 95 to 100 daily so I think the guys are waiting for fall. But now that I have a BS I may make a few calls .

kurtflys

Non-VOC Member
Well funds have changed hands and I hope to have the BS in Texas mid July. And although I have never been interested in working on the engines, I think I would like to change that up this time. May even do a little work on her as needed. Can I get the parts and service manuals here?
Kurt

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9yrs ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.