New bike 1st change oil analysis

Monkeypants

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Truth is modern bikes are generally like modern cars. They don't leak oil, start on the push of a button and run forever with just basic maintenance. Of course that is a generalization, there are still some problems here and there.
The Vincent is remarkably long wearing and trouble free compared to other bikes from that era, but it's tough to compete with the new stuff.
Other than the Chinese bikes!

Glen

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I watch "Two Wheels Big Life" on youtube, And the BMW has a worn rear bearing,
Single sided type and with the damage, She's been told to Get rid !, At 80, 000 Miles !.
My old K100 had about 175, 000 and was still going strong when I sold it.
I think with a set of bearings it would have been OK , But It's hard to see on Computer.
Wish I could have bought it, If it was cheap !.

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
On the Triumph forum it seems every other modern air-cooled Bonnie rider has done 100,000 miles without touching the engine.
These are the little 790 and 865 Econo bikes that Hinckley has sold by the boatload. The water cooled Daytonas , Speed Triples etc are perhaps even more indestructible.
Then there's the big four, with Yamaha at the top for reliability. They are all incredibly reliable machines.
Modern BMW is another story, they rate much lower than Harley for reliability. There are similar problems in German auto production as well.
Somewhere along the line, they slipped badly.

Glen

vibrac

VOC Member
I watch "Two Wheels Big Life" on youtube, And the BMW has a worn rear bearing,
Single sided type and with the damage, She's been told to Get rid !, At 80, 000 Miles !.
My old K100 had about 175, 000 and was still going strong when I sold it.
I think with a set of bearings it would have been OK , But It's hard to see on Computer.
Wish I could have bought it, If it was cheap !.
My K100 I found last year must have a good life in it yet then 25,000 miles and it cost me £400...