FT: Frame (Twin) New 7" Brake Shoes

Texas John

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
As it has been several months, is there any feedback on the use of these brake shoes, please? Or any other updates on them for that matter? Thank you.

timetraveller

VOC Member
I am the chap supplying them but out of UK at the moment. As far as I know the next batch will be ready when I return. As far as satisfied users then others will have to reply to that. All the feedback I got was positive but let others give their views.

Matty

VOC Member
I do not have an update on the new shoes because I had my front shoes relined with green woven material by Saftek for round about £50 the four..
They have now done around 200 miles and function much better than any of the other sets I have fitted in the last few years
The pivots in my old shoes are quite worn, but I think this allows some "float" and the cam to push the shoe along into better contact with the drum. I have also cut off about 25% of the cam end of each trailing lining to increase the leverage and allow for the higher wear rates of the leading shoes.
The more purist mechanical engineers may think my approach too pragmatic, but it has worked very well for my use of the bike and was simple to do.
Even so I would be interested in any constructive comments.
Matty

timetraveller

VOC Member
Finally after many month of delay the new batch of brake shoes has arrived. I have not seen them yet but am told they are a few miles away. The main feedback I got from the first batch was from Greg Brillus who fitted a set for Peter Le Gros in OZ. Greg machined the linings to be a good fit in the brake drums and Peter has stated that they are the best brakes he has tried. So it seems that the combination of the longer brake linings, stiffer shoes etc is worth while. Please email me again if you have been waiting for these as most of the correspondence was months ago. I do have two recent request but if you have been waiting for months and not corresponded about these in the last week or so then please remind me at enw07@btinternet.com

timetraveller

VOC Member
More new brake shoes. I have just heard that there will be a new batch of brakes shoes made to the same specification as the earlier ones. That is with longer brake linings and a stronger spring retaining hole. Some of you contacted me after the last batch and I could not supply you as I was keeping all the spares for my own use. All feedback so far has been positive so if you are still potentially interested now is the time to contact me. enw07@btinternet.com

RDB58

Active Forum User
VOC Member
I sent my old brake shoes to Saftec on Friday and they said when I rang them, that they arrived Monday 4 May and will be shipped this week with Green woven linings which I hope to try for grip when I have fitted them.
Will have to sneak out to get some medication and milk at a service station 2 miles away - but this will hardly be far enough for them to bed in and for me to make a proper assessment.,
You can buy Brake Shoes from the VOC.

timetraveller

VOC Member
At the moment they are listed as out of stock. The SC photograph shows standard shoes, not extended lining ones with a modified mount for the spring.. I am told that the batch currently under manufacture will be the last batch so please don't blame me if you want some in a few months time. Those who have contacted me already are on the waiting list.