FT: Frame (Twin) New 7" Brake Shoes

oexing

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
But what´s this good for,no benefit with hard springs at all ?? You don´t need more wire pull from these springs on the handle bar than from your carb slide return springs ? Sorry , I am very outspoken mostly to place my points but don´t accept facts often just "because we always did it like that " for no obvious reason - and often with poor ergonomics . The ridiculous rear main stand on the Vincent is one of these items and the company would have known better even then as some brands never ever had this nuisance.

Vic

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
Sorry, it's about brakes went off track, apologies, moderator sort it out, please.

(posts about rear stand have been moved to the General Chat forum - moderator)

Last edited by a moderator:

greg brillus

VOC Member
I can think of one very good reason for having strong brake return springs, and that is the cables and pivots that all add friction to the system that need to return to a state where the linings are not constantly rubbing the drum surface. If not for these springs, then how else is this able to do so.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
I think Gregg is 100% correct, but even the cars that I cut my teeth on had hydraulically operated drum brakes and the pull off springs on those were also pretty strong, and I think with good reason, on my 1995 Vauxhall Astra van, a "mechanic" that was entrusted to install new rear brake shoes put in either to long or weak pull off springs, and the results were quite alarming, I went over some traffic calming speed bumps only to have the rear brakes slam on hard and rear of the van squat right down to the bump stops before bouncing back up again, this happened a few times before I returned the van to the main dealer Vauxhall garage, Pedestal, West Wycombe, no longer in business! Brakes shoes that don't pull off fully or grab are bloody dangerous, I think it is the self servo effect of the leading shoe.

oexing

VOC Member
You certainly need return springs in brakes but just strong enough to do the job, not more, at no benefit. I am only judging from the photo and basically it is bad practice to have short springs , small diameter and heavy wire. Makes for high forces at small travel from installed length. You´d need hard springs in the rear brake with heavy boots on the brake lever or extra spring on the foot lever on some bikes. But I would most likely bin that spring in the front brake for a lighter type, no need for a hard action on the hand lever at all. Up to each owner for sure, just saying, we are here for discussions , I guess ?

Vic

(rear stand comments and photos moved to General Chat thread - moderator)

Last edited by a moderator:

timetraveller

VOC Member
Short delay before posting. I was checking them out this morning and found that the heating process which bonds the linings on had distorted the pivot eyes enough that they were not a smooth fit on the pins. All will be reamed and tested again before shipping.:(

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Norman, Thank you for your candour, if such a small area as the pivot hole has distorted with heat, is it not likely that the rest of the shoe has also distorted in other areas. if you are reaming out metal to correct the distortion, will the pivot hole end up being oversize somewhere along the bored hole, or not at a 90 degree axis to the braking surface.

timetraveller

VOC Member
Hi Peter. It is not as bad as it sounds. The shoes will actually go on the pins but are not free to turn easily. I think the amount being taken out by the reamer is a thou or two. Certainly it only requires a slight effort to move the reamer by hand. If you are not happy with them when they arrive then you will get a full refund, as will anyone else who is not satisfied.