FT: Frame (Twin) New 7" Brake Shoes

nkt267

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
You have a job to beat Saftec turn around knowledge and expertise they can certainly turn a clutch plate covered in holes for cork insertions into a full face dual sided non slip item in 3 days door to door
Any sign of sinkage into the holes..i have found this on one set of plates on my brother in laws bike..No idea who did them. Had mine done in a random woven material by an old timer near Norwich and they are fine.

vibrac

VOC Member
No all flat this is on a 1935 KSS works a treat and you know what velo clutches can be like. Before this one slipped on kicking over now it's like a newby! and yes I long ago made my 1/4" rod with a flat on so I do know how to adjust them:)

oexing

VOC Member
A real silly idea to add chain links into the springs there. All you get is a heavy action on the bar levers as the short spring gets overly hard with stretch. Just get longer springs, soft enough to just return shoes to the stops, no need for extra stress for your hands. Plus I´d go for stainless steel springs that will not break in use - which seems to be a drama on Vincents in places ???
In the photo a Laverda drum brake , its levers got a pin (not shown) that goes into bores in the shoe, so no steel caps required. A little high temp grease in there and you´re done.

Vic
P1080082.JPG

timetraveller

VOC Member
OK Gentlemen, the lined brake shoes have finally arrived. They look to be a very nice job and the linings are both bonded and rivetted. I will contact the two people who made definite orders, Vincent Speet and Peter Holmes and if any of the other people who made enquiries but did not place definite order wish to go ahead then now is a good time. The total price worked out as expected, £80 for a pair of shoes and £24 for the linings fitted. The sets come with new springs and new, H48 steel shoes fitted.
1589365720573.png

oexing

VOC Member
The shoes look great but I see some scope for improvements: The springs look very hard being very short with small diameter of windings. And this at NO use that I could see. I´d move the holes a bit - 1/4" away from shoe ends and go for bigger diameter springs with windings at max. length so hooks can slip into holes - just. It is simply useless to have extra strong springs , a pain to assemble and extra strain on our old hands when applying brakes. Also get stainless springs, no breakages as these are a bit softer material but no problem with this in this application. Overly strong springs are often found in brakes but I just cannot think why this is done , not my thinking for sure. All pull for springs reduces power for hitting brakes by hand strain.

Vic

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Vic
If you move the springs away from the shoe ends this moves the springs closer to the speedo drive gear which may be a problem. I know in the original setup the springs are extremely close.

oexing

VOC Member
Yes, accepted, I don´t use these brakes and cannot tell. But this is a point to keep in mind for possible minor improvement. Also one could move spring holes a bit out direction linings for longer springs and more windings so in effect this makes for less strain on hands. Brake shoes can be narrower at their ends for moving holes out. Most bending action is in center of shoes, not at ends so doable.

Vic

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
It would seem a little premature to condemn the shoes as badly designed, I think I will reserve my judgement until after I have fitted and tried them, as far as difficulty in installing them goes, doesn't the time honoured fashion of fitting them over the cam first and then stretching the spring using the shoes to engage them over the pivots make it a reasonably easy task, if your fingers have succumbed to arthritis get someone else to do this for you. I personally cannot wait to try them.

oexing

VOC Member
I did not say the shoes were badly designed but cannot see any benefit of short hard springs when lighter types would do. One could have same spring but a thinner wire at same costs or less. Plus one could fit another at the lower hole positions undrilled in photo - as is typically done elswhere. All springs extra light for easy action when fitting and more so on the road. No reason given up to now why hard springs may be desirable as you got another set with twin drums on a Vincent . . . .

Vic

timetraveller

VOC Member
Just to say that following Vic's comments I have used my bare hands on a pair of shoes with the spring fitted as shown in the photo and I can open them up about 6 mm (1/4") with my poor, weak 81 year old scientists hands, just by pulling, not levering, at the cam end. The body builders amongst you would move them more easily. :cool: