never mind have you booked will there be a mallory Park?

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
From: http://pchweb.co.uk/v_forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=3c22902e21771725c7e0894d5794aa84&topic=2153.0
I think this is in my remit as racing section organiser to bring this to your attention
I think the situation is summed up by Kim Allen (BHRC)
From: http://pchweb.co.uk/v_forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=3c22902e21771725c7e0894d5794aa84&topic=2153.0
Anyone interested and in the Area should attend the meeting on Wednesday- (I have not yet found out where)

Dear Mr Atkinson

It has been brought to my attention that the issues relating to noise levels and the use of Mallory Park circuit are being discussed at a meeting between the council, the track operators and the residents.

As one of the organisers of the Festival of 1000 Bikes, which is one of the larger events held at the circuit, and a regular attendee at BHR race meetings, I believe the circuit brings many benefits to the local economy, with many visitors using local shops, hotels and guest houses. It also supports the preservation and use of the older motor cycles, keeping a part of our heritage alive for future generations, not just as museum exhibits.

As a life-long local, having first attended Mallory Park over 40 years ago, I am surprised that the residents are having such an issue with the noise after this length of time and would question the length of residency – to generate this level of resentment towards the circuit it must surely be around 50 years, and therefore pre-date the circuit. In this case, there are countless quiet, sleepy villages in Leicestershire which would, I’m sure, be only too pleased to welcome residents seeking a quite life, so why do they choose to reside in a village adjoining a race track?

If the residents are more recently arrived and CHOSE to purchase a property close to a successful motor racing circuit, I wonder if the potential increase in house prices which would result if a few vocal residents were to force through rules making the circuit un-economic, could be a consideration. I am sure house prices in the village are lower than surrounding areas. Perhaps the motivation is to ‘buy low and sell high’, and that, should the circuit be forced to close, the most vocal complainants will have left the village before the track is weed-bound?

The ‘Not In My Backyard’ culture endemic within a certain class of society is distasteful enough without the, otherwise laughable, minority who insist on moving into areas which have their own particular issues or ‘character’, whether a church, flight-path or motor sport circuit, and then complaining vocally about this matter, as if it had ‘suddenly arisen’!

I hope you will bear these concerns in mind when reaching any decisions on the issues at stake and consider the true motivation of all concerned.

Kind regards

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
One of my good friends used to run an airfield in a quiet country town near Melbourne. He suffered from the same problem. The world might just be a happier place if two-thirds of the population joined hands and jumped off!

greg brillus

VOC Member
Unfortunately this is becoming an issue world wide I would say. It seems to be OK if it's a footy field or a tennis court somewhere, but if it ressembles a race track, an airfield or a shooting club, then these are public enemy number one. We are all aware of the fact that certain area's become populated drawing residents closer and closer to our beloved pastimes/ interests.......However at the of end of the day i believe it is the local councils that are ultimately to blame as they authorise ( under pressure ) developers to build, making promises that the local gun club.....race track and so on, is to be shut down in 2 years or whatever. So the developers move in and build away, soon after the residents move in and in 5 years time when the gun club/ race track is still opperating........Guess what......They start complaining.....and so the cycle goes. I have seen this time and time again......and it Bloody stinks....completely unfare, I say......Greg.

vibrac

VOC Member
Best bit is when the greens put their har penoth in and use the carbon argument against motor sport
Funny how nobody minds Golf driving ranges and football pitchs lit with thousands of candle power at night
The noise of a league 1 football match is greater than 105DB and more petrol is burnt waving scarves out of cars going to away matches than ever used at a race meeting
and I shudder to think what the oily limpics used. Oh I forgot there is a legacy for us, perhaps since I am a Tax payer who pays for investment in "sport" I can ride round the cycle track instead of Mallory-Not
Bloody Stinks is right

Howard

VOC Member
Talking of "bloody stinks", one of Stoke's biggest sewage works was built in the countryside, away from housing etc. A small housing development (expensive houses) was built next to it, years later, and guess what? No one had realised that sewage works smell!

Chankly, I'm with you. Anyone in mind to lead the jumpoff?

H

nkt267

VOC Member
perhaps the 1000 bikes will go back to Brands Hatch at least we would all have a bit more room
If I remember correctly the 'residents' near Brands tried to get the circuit closed down a few years ago..John

greg brillus

VOC Member
Just think how happy the people of the world would be if we closed down all race tracks, airfields, gun clubs, Oh and out door venues for loud rock concerts. Then we could all join David Gilmore and Roger Waters and all go live on the "Dark Side Of The Moon" where we could make as much racket as we like without annoying any one........Well it's better to feel "Comfortably Numb" than to be "Just another Brick in the Wall"...........Greg............................................."Is there anybody OUT there"............................................................:) ....