Nero at Shelsley Walsh - more nostalgia

rogerphilip

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi Guys
Attented Shelsley last Sat the 22nd Sep. The faster super motards were quite spectacular with FTD being 30.36 secs, set by Ben Wilkins on a big Aprilia, which got me thinking about George and his times on Nero. I remember seeing him blasting up the hill, and as a youngster it was quite an awe inspiring spectacle. However, in spite of searching the net etc can't find his fasted ever time. Any idea what it was ? Thanks

Regards
roger philip

roy the mechanic

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Uncle George, no doubt was a winer on the day. please don't try to compare times from another era. You will only be dissapointed! These are different times with different machines+ different men working the "handles"

rogerphilip

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Thanks Roy, but maybe i won't be dissapointed because I reckon that given the tremendous advance in tyre and suspension technology combined with the fact that the Aprilia is (probably?) producing more BHP than Nero means that George's performance up the hill would still be excellent by any standard. The only time i've so far come across was 37 sec in 1947 so suspect his mid 1950's (when i saw him) times could/would have been even quicker?
Regards
Roger

Len Matthews

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Didn't Neville Higgins compete in hillclimbs at the same time as George Brown? Maybe Neville could recall what was achieved. They were certainly rivals in straight-line sprinting.