K: Tools Need tap/dies advice

danno

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
It takes a few years to collect! Plus I have sets of metric and BA. And still I find I am missing one now and then!View attachment 36155

That drawer cabinet looks like it was made for those. Wider drawer underneath for
handles.
Currently it would take half an hour for me to find what I need. Some taps I can hardly read due to condition but most are ok.
Will try to clean those up but if too bad I guess they’re no good to anybody.

To match taps and dies, I take it the tap should thread through the die with ease.

Last edited:

Nulli Secundus

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
To match taps and dies, I take it the tap should thread through the die with ease.
I do not think that would do the tap and die any favours, so personally I would not do that. Perhaps find a nut that threads on a tap and a corresponding screw or bolt that fits the nut, that then should fit the die you are after.

Or make male and female test pieces to see if they fit together.

ClassicBiker

VOC Member
I wouldn't try that at all. If I can't read what is written on a tap I measure it up with a mic and check the pitch with a gauge. If I can't get a pitch gauge into a die to measure the pitch I would run it down a suitable piece of aluminum rod and measure the pitch produced on that. Trying to thread a tap and die together is not going to end well.

danno

Non-VOC Member
I wouldn't try that at all. If I can't read what is written on a tap I measure it up with a mic and check the pitch with a gauge. If I can't get a pitch gauge into a die to measure the pitch I would run it down a suitable piece of aluminum rod and measure the pitch produced on that. Trying to thread a tap and die together is not going to end well.

Ok thanks. I wouldn’t try it either.

Last edited:

danno

Non-VOC Member
Looking through the tins of taps & dies and KTB book, I have all the sizes for the Vincent.
BA t&d’s are together but everything else is separated. Don’t think it matters as
I’ll more likely need a tap or a die.
I’ve never used them but will keep anyway and label the tins rather than pair them up.