K: Tools Need tap/dies advice

danno

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi
Just trying to prioritise my excess of old tools and would welcome any advice on what sizes of taps and dies I may need for any Vincent jobs (C Rapide).
They’ve been collected and have accumulated over the years since the 1950’s and now I have them. There might even be many of the same size as there’s more in other tins.
Not sure I need that many die holders.

I have a neat Draper metric set in a case and these do fine for my two BM’s and general use.
Ideally I’d like these imperial ones organised the same in a set.
Any help appreciated.

Attachments

• BC67A61B-74E6-4702-9136-A7965109BF7A.jpeg
    BC67A61B-74E6-4702-9136-A7965109BF7A.jpeg
    556.9 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

A_HRD

VOC Member
Mostly, you'll need a BSF tap & die set comprising 1/4, 5/16. 3/8, 7/16 and 1/2". At least 3 of each is a good idea - you'll be surprised how many are blunt or have a chipped tooth. The best ones are of the HSS variety and ideally the dies will be the "split" variety which gives a degree of adjustment in the die holder. The taps of course come in various taper-starts and a "plug" type for bottoming in a hole - ideal too for cleaning-up existing threads. I keep 1/4, 5/16 & 3/8 BSF in die-holders ready for use; it saves a lot of swapping about.

The same goes for BSW (3/16, 1/4 & 5/16 being most used) and BSCy/CEI (26tpi) in 1/4, 5/16 & 3/8.

Yes, there are others you might very rarely need like BSP in 1/8 and 1/4 and some 20tpi larger threads.

Look in the back of "Know Thy Beast" for a full rundown; I don't intend to cover every eventuality here! You could sort them yourself into marked containers of your choice - buying full sets can be expensive...

Hope this helps.

Peter B

Vincent Brake

VOC Member
Sit back and enjoy the ride:
Read Know Thy Beast, and a good glas of wiskey, as its toooo many to mention

danno

Non-VOC Member
Mostly, you'll need a BSF tap & die set comprising 1/4, 5/16. 3/8, 7/16 and 1/2". At least 3 of each is a good idea - you'll be surprised how many are blunt or have a chipped tooth. The best ones are of the HSS variety and ideally the dies will be the "split" variety which gives a degree of adjustment in the die holder. The taps of course come in various taper-starts and a "plug" type for bottoming in a hole - ideal too for cleaning-up existing threads. I keep 1/4, 5/16 & 3/8 BSF in die-holders ready for use; it saves a lot of swapping about.

The same goes for BSW (3/16, 1/4 & 5/16 being most used) and BSCy/CEI (26tpi) in 1/4, 5/16 & 3/8.

Yes, there are others you might very rarely need like BSP in 1/8 and 1/4 and some 20tpi larger threads.

Look in the back of "Know Thy Beast" for a full rundown; I don't intend to cover every eventuality here! You could sort them yourself into marked containers of your choice - buying full sets can be expensive...

Hope this helps.

Peter B

That’s great, thanks.
Agree it would be a bit daft to get rid and buy a complete set. Just need to carefully go through them and sort by type/size.
I’m sure they’re decent quality but don’t know if storing them like this is ok. Wear
and tear etc.
Any spare I can offload as there’s someone interested.
Got the book. Will have a read.

vibrac

VOC Member
Bearing the speed of Tracy Tools delivery in the UK I would suggest plan a week ahead and buy as you need I think the last one in the common range missing is the exhaust/cap thread tap
Apart from 3/8,5/16 & 1/4 BSF I think most of my stuff is carbon not HSS you just have to keep in mind the torque to apply. getting a snapped tap out is 'fun'

ossie

VOC Member
Hi
Just trying to prioritise my excess of old tools and would welcome any advice on what sizes of taps and dies I may need for any Vincent jobs (C Rapide).
They’ve been collected and have accumulated over the years since the 1950’s and now I have them. There might even be many of the same size as there’s more in other tins.
Not sure I need that many die holders.

I have a neat Draper metric set in a case and these do fine for my two BM’s and general use.
Ideally I’d like these imperial ones organised the same in a set.
Any help appreciated.
you been down my shed??

stu spalding

VOC Member
Terry Holt at Kirjeng M.E. Services, 01509672025, is a really helpful guy, especially if you're not quite sure what you're talking about. Cheers, Stu.

danno

Non-VOC Member
Terry Holt at Kirjeng M.E. Services, 01509672025, is a really helpful guy, especially if you're not quite sure what you're talking about. Cheers, Stu.

Thanks for the contact. Problem is they’re not arranged. Gonna need to
go through the lot and pair them up.

danno

Non-VOC Member
It takes a few years to collect! Plus I have sets of metric and BA. And still I find I am missing one now and then!

Neat. I need a tray cabinet of some sort like that.
So I take it that the taps and corresponding dies are together in each one.