Misc: Ignition Need Advice, can't keep an idle (intermittently) approaching or at a stop with New Amal 276's

Mark Stephenson

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hello VOC Experts--need some advice

Problem:
Warm or cold idle is not reliable as I come to a stop. On a fast stop even I can experience bike just going dead-but easily re-started thereater. Sitting, the bike will idle generally fine. Trying to set up a reliable idle with New Amal 276's from Coventry

Background:
Series B (2501) with Alton 12V, BTH Mag both <3rs; new replacement 276's with new dual throttle set up and cables. I do notice that my BTH lead cases have become somewhat melted on exhaust fin (cables were to close)...I put electrical tape around the casing damage--could this be the issue as has happened around the time of my new carb install?

What I have tried:
1. Adjust mixture, 2. set throttle stops 3. new spark plugs. (B6's w .16 gap)

What should I try?

Thx so much

Mark

Mark Stephenson

Non-VOC Member
Well I don't really know but have an experienced operator (Charlie Taylor) doing the adjustments and feeling for slide synchro--but we (I am) baffled?

bmetcalf

VOC Member
Haven’t heard Charlie’s name in a long time, how is he doing?

Did you say that the spark plug leads have melting? I’d replace them.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I m not good with standard carb's , But I have found Vincent's are not good at long time tick over ?,
I have always thought the heat of the engine goes up quick , So altering the mixture,
I used to ride with a friend who fiddled every time He stopped, Tony Wheatley !!, West London,
Drove me Mad !, He wanted the tick over SOO low, And stalled often !,
Sounds to me like you are running a little weak ?.
The other thing when braking, It's possible to get petrol surge ?,
Maybe moving the float chamber forward or back may help,
Setting the tick over a small bit higher may help ?.
Cheers Bill.
I know my engines are race tuned but I would blip the throttle after a few seconds in traffic,
Also when stopping.